Carnival Freedom Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Third Mate

For a first time cruise...this one was GREAT!!!

Sail Date: February 08, 2014

I've wanted to go on a cruise for a very long time.  Try talking a seasoned Navy man, with over 3,000 days at sea into going on an 8 day cruise.  I got to choose the cruise line, the ship and the itenerary for our 25th anniversary.  I was a little apprehensive after all the sick bru-ha-ha reputation that Carnival has gotten over the last few years.  I was in awe of the ship at first sight, and I was even more impressed at our balconey stateroom.  I was suprised at how roomy it was.  My husband had so much fun, that he'd like to take the whole family next time.  We both loved the food, the service and the activities.  I'd retire early and he'd head to the cigar bar or aft to enjoy a good cigar and a glass (or two, or three) of bourbon.  We met some great people, made some new friends and enjoyed watching all the people.

Over all, we were impressed at the great quality of the buffet food, the friendliness of the staff how everything was just what we wanted.  The only thing I wouldn't do again is the Sun King Steakhouse.  Yes...the food was great and so was the service, but eating in the Chic restaraunt was just as good and I didn't have to pay extra for it.

I recommend eating at the anytime seating and not being shy eating at "sharing" tables.  We met some great people.  The food was exceptional, and I liked the fact that I could get one or more starters, desserts, etc.  My husband loved the 24 hr. pizza.  It was great!!!

I can't wait to go on our next cruise.  We had a very good experience, learned some things not to do and learned some things to do next time.'s a secret we learned.  While giving our bags to the porters, they told us that they knew passangers snuck alcohol in their luggage all the time.  They overlooked a bottle or two.  So next time we're taking more bottles...still be careful what you pack and try to get on board.

Cruise Photos

The food was great...we gained just a few pounds.
Loved the balcony and watching us coming and going from port to port.
Our steward bent over backwards to meet our needs. Everyone was friendly and had a smile on their face.
Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Antigua, West Indies
Don't wander too far off the beaten gets a little sketchy.
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
There were beautiful parts and parts that were full of trash.
This island had the most hawkers trying to get your business, but it wasn't too bad.

Unless you're swimming with dolphins or zip lining...negotiate with the local taxi drivers to take you on island tours. You'll usually get a better deal on shore.