Carnival Freedom Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Exceeded Our Expectations

Sail Date: March 01, 2009

Room Type: Suite

I had not cruised with Carnival since 2002 and my partner had never gone with Carnival. The only reason we chose this cruise was the very good price that we found for a suite on the Lido deck and we decided we could not pass it up. Much to our surprise, everything was terrific. The suite was huge and well-appointed. I had heard about the cafeteria caliber of the food, so did not expect much, but again we were pleasantly surprised. We did not have a bad meal in the dining room and were more than happy with the buffet selections. We tried the Supper Club on the formal evening and had a lovely, relaxing meal in an elegant (well, maybe gaudy) atmosphere. But it was quiet and we were waited on hand and foot. I had the lobster--done to perfection and my partner had a porterhouse that didn't fit on the plate, it was so huge. And it was done just the way he likes it. We booked only one shore excursion through Carnival for the Jamaica Bobsled and Dunn's River Falls tour and it was well worth the money. The Bobsled ride is a hoot and the chairlift ride to get you there is relaxing with an amazing view of the ship docked at the pier. We even received a free ride since the camera for the souvenir picture didn't work and they wanted to sell us that picture. They made us do a second turn, but alas, the camera didn't fire the second time and my stomach wouldn't settle for a third try. But it was worth it and I am glad for the experience. Despite the large number of passengers, there was no delay to get into a tender, even though we did not have an excursion purchased from the ship for Georgetown, Grand Cayman. No long lines at the buffet, no crowding in the casino....nothing to moan about. Also, great sales in the onboard shops and thanks to the salesgirls who gave me an early heads-up about what time to come in for the best buys. We had a blast and would love to sail with Carnival again....especially in Cabin 9205...what a beauty!!
We loved the ports of call--Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios, Jamaica
The only negative...it was spring break week and one night the party got a little out of hand further down our hallway, but nothing to really complain about.

Pros: Our Cabin!!

Cons: There really wasn't anything I didn't like!

Recommends Carnival Freedom? Yes!

Room was immaculate...always "made up" with plenty of towels and amenities were replenished before they ran out. The rest of the ship was a little "over the top" in the decor category, but nothing that would make you run for the hills. All those Liberty heads in the buffet were a bit much, though.
All of the restrooms throughout the ship were immaculate in spite of the high traffic, given the number of passengers sailing on this cruise.
There were over 900 children under the age of 18 on this sailing, but they were not a problem. I guess they were all in the kids' camps.
See my comment above in the review.
Huge, great location (at the end of the hallway...nice and quiet without much traffic passing by), great lay-out, plenty of drawer and closet space. The bathroom had his and hers sinks with a great shower and a jacuzzi tub and there was an adjacent dressing area with huge mirror and "Hollywood" lights. Great for someone who can't see as well as she used to when she puts on the make-up. Hair dryer was well-placed and out of sight in the vanity drawer. Just one question...why did we keep getting the news from Colorado...only good thing...we appreciated the tropical climate while they were socked with a spring blizzard...made us appreciate the sun and 80 degree temps even more.
We had a terrific waiter and busboy...learned our table's preferences by the second night. We met our cabin steward only once, but you just knew he was there all the time (just never in the way). See my comments above about the folks in the shops.
Papa T in the Atrium Lounge was a winner and the band at the pool with the Eagles, Billy Joel and 70s/80s playlist were really enjoyable.