Carnival Freedom Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

The best way to see Europe!

Sail Date: August 01, 2007

I just returned from a Carnival Freedom cruise of the Mediterranean--12 days going to various ports in Italy, Spain and France. The entire boat, not just the excursions, is so well organized that there is very little of the chaos that you might expect when 3000 people, kids, babies, grandmas, etc from all over the world converge on a ship for 12 days. The cruise director, John, informs everyone every day about all of the ports, excursions and shopping, the crew are marvelous and keep this huge ship squeaky clean--think Disney World. In addition, the excursions--which are the reason we went--are so well planned and organized that you feel like your bus is the only one going to a location when actually hundreds of people from Freedom are there. I would not recommed going in August unless you have no other choice simply because all of Europe vacations then and everything is soooo crowded--and then you add several thousand people from Freedom--that you can barely navigate. But even the stop in Sicily--which I said from the beginning I didn't want--was fun and I got to see Mt Etna, which erupted shortly after we returned to the states. So, I recommend this ship and this itinerary--just go in May or September and you should find yourself strolling across the Rialto Bridge in Venice or the Ponte Vecchio in Florence thinking why didn't I do this sooner!!

Pros: Best organized excursions ever

Cons: Too crowded

Recommends Carnival Freedom? Yes!

Staterooms are small, single beds, but since you don't spend time in them except to sleep, adequate.
There is entertainment in the Victoriana lounge that is fun--saw 2 really good shows there--otherwise think Vegas lounge.
We hated the decor and wondered who in the world chose the colors but everything else is great.
I tried to never miss a dinner--the dining room, staff and food are the equal of a 3 or 4 star restaurant.
The crew are from all over the world but all speak some English and want to do whatever they can for you.