Unexpected detours with a fabulous and caring staff.

Carnival Fascination Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Carnival Fascination

7 Night Southern Caribbean (San Juan Roundtrip)

Sail date: September 17, 2017

Ship: Carnival Fascination

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: R8

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Couldn't have asked for a better 1st cruise than the one I got. Looking forward to embarking on many more. I got to see and explore islands I'd never seen before and then the unexpected tour of the Everglades was the icing on the already delicious cake.

Embarkation

Everything went smoothly. I'm a 1st time cruiser and the embarkation process was seamless. I arrived earlier than my planned time and there was no wait.

Ship experiences

My choice was early dining in the imagination dining room. The staff was attentive and efficient. They were all extremely friendly. The staff in the sensation dinining room during breakfast and lunch were not as efficient, with incorrect orders multiple times. The selection on the menu throughout the ship were quite varied and had something for everyone. The staff clearing tables, etc. in the open buffet areas were great about keeping everything clean as well as assisting with menu selections.

A 7-day cruise turned into 9 as a result of Hurricane Maria. Missed ports and changing final destination meant extra unplanned days at sea. The cruise director and team did a great job of organizing activities to keep everyone happy and occupied. I felt as if I were in sleep away camp. What fun it was.

Ha! We even got a talent show performance by non-performing staff. Comedy shows, DJS who play a variety of music and a mix of stage shows aimed at every type of person.

No kids with me

No one was rude. Each and every person seemed to go out of the way to be sure the guests were happy. Even through a very trying situation as many guests were affected by the hurricane, the staff remained patient. Kudos to them all.

Ever part of the ship was kept clean and organized. The ship however is starting to show its age. It was mentioned though that updates will begin soon.

Bed was ver confortable from the 1st night. More electrical outlets needed as the wasn't one in the room and one in the bathroom which was not working.

Ship tip

Get the carnival hub app! It's great for keeping up to date on what activities are happening as well as the food options.

Ports of call

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Thankfully arrived early on embarkation day and was able to tour Old San Juan. Unfortunately wasn't able to see more of the Island on the return trip.

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Did not visit port

Hurricane Irma damage

Bridgetown, Barbados

Beautiful blue water. We hired a guide who was just exceptional - Skinny Carson Tours.

Castries, St. Lucia

Wonderful island. Paid for the top 10 of St. Lucia excursion through the ship and was greeted by an enthusiastic tour guide who entertain us the whole time.

Disembarkation

Quick and easy process but could have been better if the bags were group together based on the bag tags as we were headed to an excursion a group.