Ports were wonderful, ship was not

Carnival Fascination Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Carnival Fascination

7 Night Southern Caribbean (San Juan Roundtrip)

Sail date: May 28, 2017

Ship: Carnival Fascination

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: M120

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

This was my first cruise so I really don't have another to compare this with, however I was very disappointed in the Carnival Fascination.  It's an old ship in great need of updating.  The decor is gaudy, it smells like a smoky bowling alley and sewer, and the cabin mattress was lopsided, and the walls were too thin to block out the hallway noise.

The service was great, and the food was average.  The exception would be The Chef's Table experience which was exceptional.  I enjoyed all the ports and the one excursion we booked through Carnival (Land and Sea in St. Lucia).  We also thought the dancing/singing shows were terrific. The other musicians on the ship were average and played the same songs over and over.  The steel drum player was just overkill after day 2.

We still had a great time, and made our own fun.  I will not do a Carnival Cruise again, as the clientelle were loud and unclassy...lots of drinking, yelling, people eating like pigs in the buffet restaurant.

Ship experiences

Mattress was sloping and had to prop myself up with a pillow. Bathroom smelled of sewage.

Ports of call