Carnival Fascination Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

I couldn't wait to get off the boat

Sail Date: September 20, 2008

I know that this was the ship's first time out of the Jacksonville port and I expected some hang-ups, but not as bad as it ended up. We arrived to the port at 1230 and waited three hours to get on the boat. I expected to wait for an hour and a half but this was very poorly run. There was no organization to the madness and they were training!!! Isn't that something that is taken care of before all the passengers arrive? They did have some entertainment while we were waiting which was a very nice touch.
Disembarking was just as bad. There, again, was no organization. We did the self disembark and people were packing in all up the stairwells. When they finally let us get off the boat and old man in front of me fell down the stairs and I heard on the next floor down that someone broke a finger or a wrist and was on the way to the hospital after he disembarked. That what I witnessed due to the horrible organization on this ship. We then had to wait for another two hours to get through customs because yet again they were training.
The whole process was extremely frustrating. I was so happy to finally reach my car and end this "vacation." I read other reviews that didn't rate the ship well and, in short, I should of listened.

Pros: Getting home

Cons: Let me count the ways

Recommends Carnival Fascination? No.

The only good day of food was embarkation day. It was all downhill after that. We would take boxes of cereal and fruit to eat throughout the day just because we knew the food wouldn't fill us up. Their breakfast was very good however.
the dining rooms were cramped and not at all a relaxing environment. My chair was constantly bumped by waiters due to the small traveling spaces. After the fist night we really didn't want to go back to the dining room and after the second night we were fed up and didn't go back. On my previous cruise this was one of my favorite things to do.
What activities??? If you were not willing to spend money then there was no entertainment. There was a hair man contest but that is just gross. Who wants to see that?!?! The microphones were turned up so loud that it was hard not to cover your ears. It even distorted the way the singer sounded. I know they don't want to be known for that. Dancers need to work on being less stiff. Again, this is the first time this ship sailed from this port so maybe that's an excuse.
They also did something else kind of odd. They had a high energy prior cruisers reception and then followed it up with bingo. They poor singer had to work very hard to get the energy back. Someone needs to think harder how to line activities up.
Getting a drink was like pulling teeth. They didn't want to wait on you and almost seemed irritated to be there. I think the 15% gratuity should not be automatic. They should work for their tips and I think that's why they have the attitude they do. The casino staff was even worse. My mother and I were waiting in line to cash out and while one person was busy the other was just standing there. We figured we would go over and cash out. His response was,"There was someone else over there that could of waited on you." No, you can do your job and help us. Just plain rudeness.
The one person that we enjoyed was our sub-waiter. He was always smiling and knew what we wanted before we asked. It's nice that he even remembered. Too bad that was the only good part of the staff.
The ship was clean. I was always seeing someone clean the ship. Decor was that expected of Carnival. The ship itself was not hard to navigate which was nice. I am would recommend that Carnival limit the smoking. There were activities that I would of loved to attend, but the smell of smoke was just awful. We couldn't even go to the pool because it was one big puff of smoke. I am an ex-smoker and understand wanting to smoke where you want, but where is the rights of a non-smoker?
Since we had to spend most of our time here I'm really glad is was clean and comfortable. Our stateroom steward was very pleasant and kept the room very clean. Again, the smoking was an issue. People could smoke in there rooms and the smell would leak into the rooms and the hallways. It was disgusting! There is no way to open the windows for ventilation so there should be no smoking allowed in any of the staterooms. Believe me there is plenty of smoking allowed everywhere else on the ship.
It is a tourist trap as expected. I lived in Las Vegas for many years so the Atlantis was a disappointment in comparison.
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)
I am very spoiled by living by a beach so this was nothing new. It was set up very nice for children though. Being by the beach is always relaxing for me.