Disappointed.....

Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Carnival Fantasy

4 Night Western Caribbean (Mobile Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 16, 2020

Ship: Carnival Fantasy

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: U14

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

If Carnival truly cared about its travelers, they would understand that we paid for one thing but received another. I do not know what the "travelers insurance" is used for. I am not saying reimburse for the entire trip but do something for us. I called Carnival and even though they were polite, you could hear in their voice that it was all scripted. Honestly at this point I haven't and will not recommend Carnival and this will be my first and last cruise experience.

Embarkation

The ship was scheduled to sail on the Thursday at 4:30 pm, however due to the weather we did not get to start our cruise until the early morning hours of Friday. I honestly felt anxious, overwhelmed and a little bit like a cow being run through a sale barn. Once we got on the ship the crew seemed annoyed that we didn't know what to do or where to go. They ushered us into the dinning room and made us eat. We had pre-purchased the "bottomless bubbles" and I ordered a diet pepsi (they only have pepsi products, I really need a dr pepper). I later learned that because we were still at port, a 25 cent charge per drink was issued. The passengers were tired and irriable. After our early morning dinner, we retired to our room becuase honesly we just couldn't go any longer. My husband and I booked this cruise to celebrate our anniversary and had such antiscipation.

Ship experiences

The ship was amazingly clean and they have crew constantly working around the clock to maintain. I was pleasantly surprised that the food was not horrible but just ok (nothing to write home about). They had a burger place on the boat that was the best. Their breakfast biscuits were HORRIBLE and hard as a rock. You can not get back to back soda with the "bottomless bubbles", I was told I had to wait 5 minutes before I could get a refill. They fill your cup up with ice and then only use about half the can of soda. Their strawberry daiquiris are THE BEST THING EVER but over $10 a pop. You are constantly charged gratuities at every turn.

The pools always had kids in them and the hot tubs were always at capacity. The staff/crew seemed upbeat and most were always friendly/smiling (however many did not speak English). The cruise appeared to attempt to have a variety of options for a variety of tastes.

Andy (cruise director) was the best part of many of the shows. Many of the game shows, such as Love and Marriage, were hilarious and I truly enjoyed them. Many of the bands/singers were truly talented and always friendly/pleasing. You could tell them worked extremely hard at their performances.

Many of the crew/staff were always smiling/pleasant/nice. We did have one female staff to be very rude during the Bingo card sale. We didn't have experience with buy "cards" and were shocked when told it would be $40 (honestly we were dumbfounded) and this seemed to irritate her. Many of the staff did not speak English and would just smile and nod when asked a question. The constant need for tips and added gratuities became taxing and worrisome at the end.

The ship is the oldest out of the fleet, something we found out just before we set sail. The ship was extremely clean and they had crew constantly cleaning/maintaining. With this being our first cruise we honestly were just confused all around/rushed/anxious and overwhelmed. The rooms are nice/the ship is clean/nice.

The cabin was super nice, beds very comfortable, clean, well maintained.

Ship tip

READ THE FINE PRINT. Carnival will not reemburse you for weather delays or missed port calls/excursions. Like I indicated earlier we did not leave Mobile until the early morning hours on Friday (we were supposed to leave Thursday afternoon) and we missed our excursion at Cozumel and therefore we missed our previously book Spa Excursion (which I have yet to be reimbursed). We docked at Progresso and were unable to get any type of beach resport spa experience as they were sold out. Progresso, although educational, was not a place I would visit again. The inital rates for the cruise seem very reasonable, even cheap, but you will end up spending much much much more.

Ports of call

Mobile, Alabama

We were delayed by almost a day so we did get to drive around and visit various locations. A lot of construction, poor roads, confusing road signs, but good food.

Cozumel, Mexico Did not visit port

Due to a fog advisor, our Mobile port was closed and we did not get to leave Mobile until the early morning hours of Friday. Therefore Carnival changed our port from Cozumel to Progresso.

Disembarkation

Somewhat confusing, but much better than the embarking experience.