Enjoyed Cruise, but not the Ship

Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Fantasy

5 Night Western Caribbean (Mobile Roundtrip)

Sail date: June 30, 2018

Ship: Carnival Fantasy

Cabin type: Oceanview

Cabin number: E169

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

I must first say the staff at Camp Carnival was excellent! My grandson thoroughly enjoyed himself, and wanted to go back when we got home. The fact that someone overdosed across from my cabin and died still bothers me.

Embarkation

Ship experiences

Guy's Burger Joint

My mother could eat these burgers every day of the cruise. She and my goddaughter loved them!

Shore Excursions / Guest Services

Guest services was excellent. Each time I went they took care of my needs.

Carnival Waterworks

My grandson loved loved loved the smaller water slide. The only problem was getting him off in time to go to camp carnival and him trying to decide if he wanted to go to the water slide or to camp carnival.

Camp Carnival

My grandson loved Camp Carnival. The first night he became upset, but calmed down. Out of concern for his future stays, staff supplied me with that they could use to contact me, should it happen again. They did not have to call me. He loved it so much that he recognized the counselor on and off the ship and would run and give them a hug.

Cabin steward, Bertel was wonderful. Help from guest services staff was exceptional. Response time of the medical staff to emergency across from my cabin, not so good.

This is a older ship that needs upgrading or retiring. It was kept clean for the most part.

Ship tip

Be careful of the cabin you chose. Apparently mine was over a portion of the galley. Along with mine, there had been 7 complaint about the noise that is heard during the night. The noise had been attributed to the ships galley.

Ports of call

Mobile, Alabama

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

The port itself was wonderful, but the area that we saw on our way to the beach was very poor. The isle looked to be very run down. Although we were advised when we purchased the beach excursion about the algae, it was worse than expected. It was a lot for two men to try and keep cleaned up.

Disembarkation