Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Second Mate

Nice trip on an old ship

Sail Date: February 29, 2016

Hello all:  We had a great offer on an ocean view room so at the last minute we took the trip.  First, let me say that if you have been on any other Carnival ship you will be spoiled and disappointed here as the Fantasy is an old small ship in comparison.  Once in the room (M135) my wife noticed right away that it was old and there were holes in the backs of the curtains!  The rest of the room was good and the steward, whoever it was did a great job cleaning up the room each day but it was odd in that this was the first cruise out of six on Carnival that the steward did not make him or herself known.  Food was very good at the buffet, Guy's Burgers excellent and the evening meals were good except for a cold prime rib once.  Our waiter, Ricky, was excellent and we found all the wait staff excellent.  Casino is small and the amount of smoke and heat build up may keep you away.  Even staff were heard to say that the AC was not keeping up on two different nights.  Key West was the first stop on the itinerary and it is always a great stop whether shopping, water sports, sightseeing or hanging out in one of the many good bars or restaurants.  Our favorite place to eat is PEPE's on Mallory Dock for Cuban food and sitting under the veranda.  Next stop was Cozumel where I boarded the ferry (45 min. ride in rough water) to Playa del Carmen to then get on a nice bus to Tulum (45-50 min.) to see the Mayan Temples.  Views here are excellent and Saul our guide was great at explaining the history.  Ignore the continual hawking to sell you things but if you wish to dicker then enjoy the fun in Tulum by talking down the inflated prices.  I ate at a small restaurant at the Tulum site and it was great, beef tacos and coke for $10.  Tulum site has a lot of shops and restaurants.  Our tour was late in the day so no time to go to the beautiful beach there.  I brought a small bag with towel, bug spray and bottles of water as it is hot there.  There are swamps all around there but it is dry season so no bugs but it will not hurt to carry insect repellent, be safe.  Got back to ferry early so got an hour to hang out in Playa de Carmen, nice town.

The cruise overall was good as I had a casino offer so I cannot complain but I would not go on the Fantasy again as I was spoiled by the other nicer bigger Carnival ships.  I really missed the big outside theater!  The old girl needs to be retired or refurbished.

It was old and dated and it seemed smaller than others I have had on other Carnival ships. Moth holes on the back of the curtains and our king size head board was a connecting room door complete with door handle at my head!
Fast and easy.
Too old and not to a standard one would expect compared to other Carnival ships.
Key West and Coz are manageable and great for all activities.
Good for a small ship. I missed my outdoor big screen movies!
Food overall is good. One night cold prime rib which was fixed fast.

If you get a real good deal on a trip on the ship, do it. If not, do not cruise on this ship and first timers do not take this ship as it does not reflect the other better ships of Carnival. This is an old ship and she looks it and lacks many of the things one finds on newer ships.