Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

My first Cruise

Sail Date: May 19, 2012

This was my first cruise and I had heard many many fantastic details about cruising and specifically the carnival fantasy. My cruise started out "okay" but ended wonderfully. Upon arriving at the port, it was very disorganized parking for cruise signs were miles apart from each other, I kept thinking I was lost and not going the right way-it felt like we were driving in circles for 30 min even though we were right there. Parking was more expensive than I was previously told. After driving what felt like 30 extra minutes when we first got there it felt like we were driving away from the port just to park the car and then had to take a shuttle back to the boat. I mean, we were "right there!" Because we couldnt take out own bags onto the boat ourselves we had to check it in. It was so awkward. This man stopped us in the middle of the street on the way to park the car with a pile of luggages. As he was taking the luggage out of the car he just kept saying something repeatly....."tip, tip, tip". Before he even took the luggage he stopped and brushed his fingers together and asked for the tip. I thought it was very rude and inappropriate. My fiance works in the customer service industry and would not have left without tipping for the quick two second service, something we would gladly do ourselves anyways, but to be prompt like that-very rude. When we finally got onto the boat and into our rooms I was already exhausted from arriving at the port and going through that whole mess but I was just happy to be on the boat and start my vacation. other than the bumpy start the activities on the boat were very organized and plentiful. Our cabin steward was very friendly and I was surprised at how often they actually cleaned the rooms. My favorite part was the unlimited food and dessert. I loved how they do switch up the food and dessert. Although it is always available, you can only have certain things at certain times. It is definitely very organized with many activities. Getting off the boat and onto the Islands of Bahamas was like a red carpet event. pictures pictures was very cute! The entire crew members were like one giant family-with different roles within the cruise ship-it was amazing! Although we were not in the cabins most of the time, I was disappointed in its condition. I understand the size of each cabin but I was expecting some upgrades given I was on the upper deck and paid extra for an ocean view window. The rest of the cruise was smooth sailing and fantastic, could not commend the staff any more than I already have in person and was a great experience....UNTIL we got back to the port of charleston again. A shuttle took a group of us at a time back to the parking lot and went into a parking garage when half of the group was made to park outdoors across the street. So now this group including my fiance and I have to lug all of our luggages including any additional items we purchased during the cruise and march alongside the street and then cross the street with oncoming eager cars also ready to go home and then cross a railroad track when the shuttle could have dropped us off right in front the parking lot to begin with. I know, efficiency is one thing, but I mean SAFETY is another. I would think if you have thousands of people that need to get to this location which I believe they said there were est 2900 people on the boat, I would think you would want to do it in the most efficient and safe way possible. I mean, I saw a mother pulling her own luggage as well as her young daughters while her young daughter maybe not even 5-6 years old is trying to keep up behind her as we were crossing the street with oncoming cards and a railroad track. Once you get to the parking lot, the real challenge begins. now you gotta find your car. There are no numbers for parking. This port is the most disorganized place I have ever been to.

Pros: unlimited food-breakfast

Cons: disorganized port upon departure

Recommends Carnival Fantasy? Yes!

I understand the rooms have to be small but I wish it was upgraded. I thought maybe the upper deck rooms would be nicer, even paid more for the window. It looks old and beatdown. definitely could use a little sprucing up.
The ship was really clean and well kept. I just wish the boat was upgraded a little more. The pool was very small on the boat.
Service was great!! Variety was great!! But when they give you a time, you better get there before it ends!! they mean it! Everything else was wonderful!
Lots of great entertainment and varieties. really enjoyed the shows.