Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Mexico

Great for the young, elderly, & glutton

Sail Date: December 01, 2009

After a nine hour wait in the conference center and a free (crappy) sandwich, they told us we would have free hotel rooms because the ship was going to be delayed till the morning because of fog. They offered us a refund but it had to be towards another Carnival cruise (yeah, right..). After lining everyone up and making them wait another hour we were told that the hotel rooms wouldn't be free, they would be at a "discounted rate". The "discounted rate" was $99.- , so we went about 8 miles down the road and found another same brand hotel for a lot cheaper ($40+). We talked to some other people and they said that they got the same hotel rooms that others got for $99.- before Carnival's "special rate" at $79.- (that's strange?). I know they didn't have control over the fog, but telling us we were getting free hotel rooms and the lack of information we got all day was crazy.
We missed one of our ports of call because of the fog incident and only got to visit one. They gave us each a $20 on ship credit (after automatically charging us $10 per person per day for tips, then sending us letters under our door that we had to come to guest services about our sail and sign card because we owed money on it). Carnival was very vague after calls to Carnival, my booking agent (which called Carnival because even they hadn't heard about it yet), and visiting customer service about at least a partial refund for the cruise. All we know now is it "might" be an "undisclosed" amount in "possibly three weeks time".
When we finally got on the boat they were giving out free champaign (very cheap), but it was still nice. They cut that off after about an hour or two and then drinks were $7.25 +15%gratuity. Don't plan on drinking unless you've set aside another $100 a day per person, at least. The service was very good, as always. Everyone was very kind and friendly, especially Richard in the dining room... he was our favorite. :) :)
The food was alright, but not as good as I remember it being on some other boats. It didn't sit too well for my wife either way , while the 12' waves beat her constantly the whole trip. The entertainment is targeted at certain age groups and if you don't fall into one of them you're stuck sunbathing or drinking .
This was my fourth cruise. It was the first for my wife. Needless to say I don't think she ever wants to go on another cruise, and I definitely don't want to go on a Carnival cruise if I ever get to cruise again (which will be up to my wife).

Pros: I'm not really sure I've been able to identify it yet

Cons: the conference center

Recommends Carnival Fantasy? No.

Richard and Vincent were awesome.