So much fun!

Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Sail Date: September 01, 2009
Ship: Carnival Fantasy
I recently sailed on the Carnival Fantasy with a group of friends. The ship was as nice as I expected it to be. It isn't Carnival's largest, but I knew that prior to booking the cruise. It was clean and well-kept, and we we always had something fun to do. We took the Chichen Itza excursion in Progreso, Mexico. I am glad I was able to visit such a historically significant place and see Mayan ruins... however, the bus ride between the pier and Chichen Itza took nearly two hours each way and you are constantly bombarded by locals wanting to sell you something once you arrive. There is also a lot of walking involved, so be aware before you sign up. Take bottled water and wear comfy shoes and light clothing. It was worth seeing once in my lifetime, but I doubt I'll ever go back. In Cozumel, we took the snorkel/catamaran/beach party excursion. That was the best part of the whole cruise! We met the catamaran right off the pier... the hosts were fun and knowlegeable. Snorkelling gear was provided, as were drinks afterward. Life vests are required whether you can swim or not, and the guides helped make even the most reluctant of us feel comfortable out in the water. Afterward, we sailed to a beautiful, white-sand beach complete with free use of sea kayaks, floats, lounge chairs, hammocks, floating inflatable trampolines/water slide/ climbing wall, and more free drinks. Once back at the pier we still had three hours or so to explore Cozumel. There are plenty of shops near the pier, but we chose to take a taxi into downtown Cozumel. I've heard horror stories of being charged one fee to ride into town, and then an exhorbitant amount to return. However, we were so pleased with our service. There were taxis waiting near the shops, and we rode to town for $10 each. Not only that, but the driver waited for us till we were finished... 3 hours later! He didn't even ask to be paid until he had us safely back where we started. Some in my group even left their belongings on the van, and they were there when we returned. We had a great lunch in Cozumel at the Mission Restaurant... beware the margaritas, one is plenty! :)

Every meal I had onboard was excellent! Everything from dinners in the formal dining room to casual buffets, from pizza and ice cream to sandwich and omelette stations... delicious!

The most fun, friendly people I've ever encountered on vacation.

Pool is pretty small, I guess that's to be expected on a cruise ship.

We had an ocean view room on the Empress deck. There was plenty of room for two adults without feeling cramped. The only negative thing I have to say about the stateroom is that there was only one outlet available. The one in the bathroom didn't work. That made it a little difficult for two of us to get ready at the same time, and we could only charge one electronic device at a time.

Pros: Destinations, ship staff, ship amenities, food

Cons: The pool is small

Recommends Carnival Fantasy? Yes!