Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Caribbean

A Nightmare On A Cruise Ship

Sail Date: June 01, 2009

Okay, where do I begin? This was my first cruise and I was excited about the possibility of having a great vacation. My excitement quickly turned to disgust when I realized the septic tank odor reeking all over the ship was not a brief encounter but a 5 day annoyance to be dealt with. It did not go away the entire cruise. And you could go no where to escape it.

Then there were the announcements: These very "Carnival" sounding messages on how I was going to enjoy my vacation and spend my money, so tacky! The sales pitch was so corny and conning. Quirky phrases, so outdated. Can you say deceiving? And, yes at least twice per day, sometimes spoken so fast you could not begin to catch the details.

Constantly having their hands in my pockets trying to spend my money, did not like! Pictures, art auctions, liquor sales, t-shirts, gold buying, buy buy buy, excuse me did I say BUY?

So we have to eat for five days, I've always heard the food is excellent.............Wrong!
This is floating cheap buffet food and look out for food poisoning. I got it, was ordered to my room and not allowed to exit ship at port in Mexico and was given, bottled water (which was welcomed since the ship's water was just plain nasty tasting.) plain white toast, a banana, plain yogurt for every meal for 24 hours. And, oh not to mention, that wonderful bottled water was just $4 a bottle.

Okay, let me at least drink some cocktails and forget this mess. Sure..........the ice is made with that nasty tasting ship water, and the cocktails are watered down with that nasty tasting water and they only cost $7 each....yes sir ladies and gentlemen you heard me right, now get out there and enjoy! This is your vacation.

Go for a dip in the way over crowded pool, uh oh, yeah that's right, right now only your large toenail will fit. Hey, we can't help it 800+ kids under 18 are sailing with us. Kids sleeping in the glass elevators, riding up and down, kids everywhere. One kid stuck his finger up the frozen yogurt machine opening and got some sweet delight and licked it off and went back in for more. NEXT!

Since I am confined to my room from eating bad food the ship prepared, you would think they would at least offer free internet to console me right?............No way! This request had to be reviewed per supervision and by that time I was just plain out of the mood, not to mention sick. I was told as long as I promised to not tell anyone that they would give me one hour free internet. (Internet charge is $24 per hour)
And, after disputing my excursion fees, due to my illness which confined me to my room, when I went to settle the bill, they re-disputed the charges trying one last time to dig deep in my pockets. I was able to get all the excursion charges removed after getting upset at the counter. So I have one person on the phone assuring me charges for excursions would be removed and when I went to settle bill they were back on and the manager was more than willing to argue the validity.

I strongly suggest you consider the cons of taking a cruise, they have you trapped for the length of your cruise you will eat their food and drink their water or pay $4 for bottled. Oh and I think Simon covers the entertainment nicely, substandard to say the least. Now the swaying as you try to walk for 3 days after getting back on dry land is FREE! I do not understand how they stay in business with such poor business practices. I will not return! And as promised, I will share my story with any and everyone that will listen.

Don't forget: "I told you so!"

Pros: The housekeeping staff

Cons: Sit back and enjoy the reading, strongly consider before you purchase.

Recommends Carnival Fantasy? No.

Navigating on this ship was difficult to say the least. Some elevators only went up so far, you had to get off, go get on another and continue. Very confusing, many people were heard saying I never did figure out how to get to my cabin easily.
WATCH OUT FOOD POISIONING! I got it, was confined to my room and not allowed to leave at port in Mexico. Nurse was not nice about it, on verge of being rude and abrupt. Food was buffet style and cheap quality. Nasty tasting water was in food also, anything with water in it you could taste that foul water.
Except the housekeeping staff, they were very nice. Otherwise they were glazed with a false sense of trying to please you.
Substandard
800+ kids on board not a good experience. Parents did not keep children in check.
This was the only thing that wasn't too bad, if you could stand the sewer stinch.