Carnival = Wonderful, BJ's = Terrible

Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Sail Date: May 01, 2009
Ship: Carnival Fantasy
Service on this ship was fantastic. I was impressed with the friendliness and personability of the staff. Was a very casual and fun trip, with extremely professional service from the staff. Activities on board were enough to keep everyone in my group entertained. While the ship made three stops (Key West, Freeport, Nassau), would have been happy staying on board the whole time. The food was excellent, the games and activities were fun, and the shows/entertainment were better than I've seen in vegas. No complaints whatsoever about Carnival.

BJ's however was terrible. Trip was purchased as a Christmas present for my parents, and had booked the trip the week of Thanksgiving. I had selected an option to ensure that all documentation was mailed only to me, yet everything, including the invoice showing the amount paid was mailed to my parents. As we are a middle class family, they were quite upset at the amount of money that was spent and I had to spend six hours on the phone with my sobbing mother trying to calm her down. When I called BJ's to discuss this matter, I confirmed that I had made the correct selections to have everything sent to me, and the rep could give no information regarding why this was sent to my parents. This was a major concern of mine as in these days of identity fraud, a company mailing documents including credit card information to people who did not book the trip, nor were listed as the billing address on the card, is a major security flaw. When I requested that someone call my mother to both apologize for ruining a Christmas surprise, as well as her weekend when she saw the bill, I was told they don't make outbound calls and all I could get was a $25 credit towards the balance of the cruise, or a $50 credit towards the purchase of a cruise that would need to be booked within the next year.

Additionally, the trip was originally to go to Mexico. Due to this year's swine flu outbreak it had to be diverted. After spending two hours on hold for a rep, I got through to someone and was told that the ship was being rerouted to Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I called Carnival the next day to reconfirm, and was told that the new destination was actually Key West, and the Bahamas. The Carnival rep said they had never given any indication that my ship was being rerouted to Jamaica and Grand Cayman, and had no idea where the BJ's rep obtained that information.

While I will definitely be booking future cruises with Carnival, I have canceled my BJ's membership and will never use them for anything again.

Creative and innovative food selections. Wonderful desserts and everything prepared fresh on board daily. Sushi was top-notch.

Fantastic shows. Comedians, singers, and stage productions were better than I've seen on my trips to Vegas.

Would not change anything about the staff. One of the diners at my dinner table had health issues, and the head chef went out of her way to prepare desserts on a daily basis specifically to conform to his dietary needs.

It's an older ship, so some chips/scuffs on walls could be seen, but no real complaints

Pros: Everything on the ship

Cons: Service from BJs

Recommends Carnival Fantasy? Yes!