Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

3,000.00 for non-existant VIP treatment

Sail Date: April 18, 2009

Room Type: Suite

We were told by to expect VIP service when we booked the most expensive stateroom on the ship. VIP embarkation consisted of sitting in a room with a water pitcher rather than standing in line. Also we had been led to believe the staff would lead us to our suite, instead we were dropped off at security and told to have a nice trip. debarkation VIP service was non-existant. Part of the reason we paid for the suite was for the ease of getting on and off of the ship with our 5 yr. old. This was only the beginning of the disappointments to come.

We have cruised once before on a Carnival ship. Our service and food were excellent. On this ship the staff was generally surly and unhelpful. The exceptions were the steward in the next block of suites, the Camp Carnival staff (although some of them weren't pleasant), and the young lady that ran the candy store on-board. Outside of those individuals, the experience was poor.

We requested individual seating when we booked, but found ourselves at a 10-12 top table once on-board. The maitre'd accommodated our request to move, but the result wasn't pleasant. Our waiter, while polite, took overly long to serve us and missed our salads, drinks etc. We finally stopped going to the evening dinner as it was always an excessively long process. On two of the evenings that we attended evening dinner, the couple next to us who had a different waiter, arrived 15-20 minutes after us yet received their meals and were done before we even received our dinner.

The Camp Carnival experience was a good one for our 5 yr. old. We had thought we'd use the service on formal night to allow my wife and I some private time, but our daughter constantly wanted to be at the Camp. It was genuinely the only positive part of our cruise experience.

The last straw came for us on the final night of the cruise. We are not gamblers nor drinkers. All we wanted to do was either play ping pong or mini-golf. But, the booth that issued the equipment was not open after 2pm!!! I ended up rummaging through the booth trying to find some equipment to use. I was approached by a security guard who was pleasant, but only helpful after I expressed my absolute disgust at being denied use of the facilities. It took 30 minutes to finally wrangle two ping-pong paddles and a ball from the staff. I didn't realize I'd have to bring my own putter, ball and ping-pong paddles along to enjoy the offerings. And, whatever happened to shuffleboard??? I thought that was a shipboard staple!!!

All in all I feel we were mislead by . I will use my local travel agent from here on. It is the job of the agent to ensure that what you're booking meets your needs. Multiple calls to yielded a staff that was pleasant, but ultimately did not help us book a cruise that was right for us. Furthermore either, 1. has been mislead regarding what VIP treatment their customers can expect or, 2. is more concerned with booking a cruise than providing customer service. The staff knew exactly why I was booking a suite and what I and my family expected for service. We were assured of it and told to review the Carnival website for complete details on VIP service. None, I repeat none of it was offered to us. Not only will we never book with again, after two cruises with Carnival, we will never book a cruise with them either.

Pros: Camp Carnival was the only plus

Cons: Read below

Recommends Carnival Fantasy? No.

If you like to drink and gamble then fine. Otherwise you'll be sharing the one pool with drunks and loud music.
Sushi bar open from 5-8 with one person manning the bar. Wait 15 minutes in line for 3 pieces of a california roll!!!
Suite was nice, but the balcony was small and not in good repair.
The only good experience from this very expensive trip. I was surprised how organized they were and how much my child enjoyed her time with the staff.