Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

I was a skeptic, but I enjoyed it!

Sail Date: October 01, 2007

This was my first cruise, and I was skeptical. I usually like quiet vacations or vacations involving museums, art, theater.... I thought the trip on the ship might be an exercise in poor taste.

Now, the decor IS gaudy. And I gave up drinking a few years back so i am not in to the "party hearty" thing these days, so that aspect did not appeal to me.

But what I found was that the cruise was PROFOUNDLY RELAXING. The gentle motion of the ship, the clean sea air, the beauty of the ocean and the sunsets. There's a lot to do, if you like, but you can also JUST RELAX. Plenty of quiet places to find on board, for reading or just watching the colors of the sea. My cabin, not an expensive one, was VERY comfortable- the bed in particular, with fine linens and a good duvet, was excellent.

The crew was very nice, and they do a great job. Really great. The food was between OK and really good- some of the dinner dishes were outstanding in preparation. Good variety, and lots of tasty lower-calorie "spa" type items that you can have if you like; vegetarian fare, too.

The ship is large enough so you can walk around and not feel cooped up, and some of the entertainment- the jazz trio, one of the comedians- was really first rate.

A TIP: cell calls from on board while at sea are $8 a minute, so unless it's an emergency avoid calling. And you'll pay for one minute for an incoming call even if you don't answer! However, if your phone or notebook supports GPRS, and you can send and receive text POP3 email, it will only cost about 5 cents per message (TEXT only- no photos! The data transfer cost is $15 per megabyte. It works out to about 5 cents for a typical 5k email.)

Cell phone text messaging is more expensive- around $1 each, so stick to POP3 email.

Pros: Relaxation!

Cons: Embarkation and debarkation - long lines; also hated the FLIGHT to get to the ship!

Recommends Carnival Fantasy? Yes!

Not Cirque du Soleil but well done. There was a really good jazz trio on board, and one of the comedians was REALLY funny, had everyone in the theater laughing so hard they were pratically rolling in the aisles. The magic show was also quite entertaining. I wanted a quiet trip so I didn't participate in the disco night, etc, but there was a lot of that stuff going on if that's what you are into.
I don't have kids but it seemed like there was a lot going on for children and for teenagers, and the kids looked like they were having a blast.
Food was always at least good and sometimes excellent. Some of the dinner dishes were really fine, and portions were 'just right' - satisfying but not stuffing.
DECOR- gaudy, not in good taste but pretty elaborate and well fitted out. I didn't see anything that was broken, worn or otherwise messed up.
CLEAN- very clean, all the time.
LAYOUT- lots of places to go; nice decks, good gym,
KIDS- I don't have kids but they seemed to have a lot for kids organized by age groups.
THE SPA/GYM was SUPER NICE.
Really nice rooms, good size bathroom. Clean. Bedding was SUPERB - good mattresses, fine linens, and a comfortable duvet. Air conditioning was good, I like rooms to be quite cold at night and I could adjust my vent to my liking.
Fantastic people. Wonderful. Very good at their work, and very friendly.