Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Murphy's Cruise

Sail Date: July 08, 2006

Overall, the ship appeared clean and in good repair. Initially, our dining time was not what we selected upon booking, but we were able to get the time changed for all nights after the first one. The evening show on the first night of the cruise was the same show that we saw on a sister ship three years ago ... Sigh! However, all of the other evening shows were new and generally very good.

I picked up an illness that ran its course starting the morning of day 3, and killed the whole day for me, including having to cancel planned excursions to Grand Turk. My appetite and energy level did not return until day 5.

On day 4, we stopped at Half Moon Cay. We were told on the ship that our snorkeling by boat excursion was cancelled due to weather conditions, but all of the other activities on the island were still scheduled to run. We took a tender to the island and rented snorkeling gear on the beach. We walked about 1/2 mile down the beach on the way to a reef area, and a weather front closed down on top of us. We sat on the beach in the rain for about an hour, hoping that the rain would stop. Others in my family went horseback riding. I could see them thru the rain. They got totally soaked in the heavy rain ... and afterwords the tour guides cancelled that activity.

We all met for lunch on the island ... sitting under pavilions during the rain. As we were eating lunch, the ship's crew told us to finish eating and to go to the tender launch area for return to the ship. By this time, the seas were over 4 feet high, with an occasional 5-6 footer, sitting between the leeward side of the island and the ship. The ship had actually moved further out to sea, relative to where it was anchored when we came ashore just a couple hours earlier. I heard from another passenger that the ship apparently could not hold anchor at the original spot, and moved to deeper water. We waited in line, for a tender, in the rain, for over an hour-and-a-half. Nobody (crew) informed the passengers about the situation. As it turned out, the tenders were having difficulty getting back to the ship. I was told by other passengers that the first boat made many attempts to raft up to the ship, and that many passenger became sea-sick in the rough waters. I actually saw the second tender return to the dock to offload about half of its passengers (who were sent to the end of the line to wait all over again). We finally were loaded onto a tender, and had to stand up on the lower deck (fortunately out of the rain). I was concerned that this could pose a problem for certain passengers (elderly, disabled, etc.). We made it safely to the ship, although soaken wet and disappointed about everything that happened. That was the highlight of day 4.

On day 5, we stopped in Nassau. The day was nice, and things went well. Dinner and evening entertainment were excellant, and the cruise back hope was uneventful.

Disembarking was well-organized, and went according to plan.

Pros: Dining and Entertainment

Cons: On-board Illness and Weather-related excursion cancellations

Our requested dining time was not honored originally, but we were able to get the time changed from the second evening on. Dining staff was excellant, and food choices were very good. Food quality was good.
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)
Our day at this place was ruined by poor weather, however, Half Moon Cay was beautiful in every aspect. It is unfortunate that we didn't get to enjoy it.
Don't Miss: Snorkeling or diving activities are probably don't miss activities.
Grand Turk Island
My family told me that the experience was good. I could see some of the facilities from the boat.
If you want to see Atlantis, then get on a tour. We simply visited the resort, and were turned back from entering several areas. We had hoped to see more on our own.