Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Purser

Nice but not great.

Sail Date: April 27, 2015

Overall the cruise was ok and worth going on. I have been on several other cruises and other cruise lines and have found both of these items to be of higher quality. Leaving out of New Orleans was not my favorite. The ride down the Mississippi River takes quite a bit of time and the water is really pretty nasty. Some people were very interested in seeing all the factories....just didn't do much for us. The stateroom layout was a pleasant surprise...very roomy and the bathroom was large enough and very functional. The shows were very good and the venues where they were held were very clean and setup nicely. The buffet was clean, but the food was on and off...some things were good and others just seemed way off. I'm not overly picky about food but a few things were just not good and I hate how you could not reach the back pans to serve yourself. The omelet bar, fruit bar, and sandwich bar were good. The salad bar was just flat weird and really had nothing on it to put on your lettuce. We loved the outside lunch bar by the pool. They had the same basic items everyday...burgers, chicken planks, fries, slaw, potato salad and was pretty darn good. Most of the staff was friendly and pretty helpful. When you first get on the boat they offer you a drink package....it's really not a good deal and I think you would be better served by paying for your drinks individually. They limit you to 15 drinks a day and the structure of it was just ridiculous. One....water wasn't included, however you can bring water on with you so that is kind of our mistake. Two.....they make both parties buy the package which is $575 for both parties. I get why the do that but it my wife primarily drank lemonade which is free. Three.....you can't get a double shot tall drink because it puts over 10 dollars and then u have to pay for that amount. So I spent most of my time running back and forth to the bar...really just dumb and aggrevating. If I want a double tall it should just count as two drinks toward my total. Just a lot different than other cruise lines and a worse difference for sure. Had some nice things for the kids to do on the ship. However, the main pool is ridiculously small and very old and dirty looking.......we never even got in cause u have to watch for flying kids from the slide. Cozumel was a nice stop. They had many good excursions to do and we were very pleased. Progresso was not too impressive. ..if you like the historical part of the Mayan ruins then you would enjoy. Otherwise I think you will have the same perception as us.....dirty and a bunch of junk. The armed guards watching the boat says about all that needs to be said. Overall a memorable experience but definitely not my favorite port or cruise line.
Pool deck pretty poor, layout of boat is odd, but show venues are very nice and clean.
buffet is clean but limited amount of options and some of the food was really good and some really poor.
very happy with setup. size, and bathroom
some were very engaged and helpful, but if you were a first time cruiser you may have been a little lost on where and what to do until you got it figured it out.
shows were very good set in nice venues.
Cozumel is nice.....could have done without progresso
New Orleans, Louisiana
dirty town....did not like the ride on the Mississippi river, good food however
Dolphin adventure was very fun and a lifetime of memories
Progreso (Merida), Mexico
lots of small shops...everyone trying to sell you something

Drink package setup is poor.