Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Mexico

Great cruise

Sail Date: April 20, 2013

I took a five night cruise on the Elation with my daughter.

Embarkation: Easy. Line moved quickly. We set up cash for sail and sign card. One thing different from previous cruises using cash was that money to be refunded will be mailed to address within 7 days post cruise. We were on the boat in our room within 30 minutes of beginning of process.

Safety drill: always hate these, but what do you say? Got to do what you have to do.

Cabin: Going the economical way we booked inside cabin. My husband and I always get outside cabin. Honestly I did not mind not having a window. Location: R 30 was very convenient. This cabin was pretty much like any other I had from Carnival. Very clean. Comfortable bed/pillows. Typical at sea sattelite TV. Limited ammeneties, but who is in cabin that much anyway?

Room Steward: On previous cruises I had developed good relationship with cabin stward, and I talked to passengers who loved theirs on this cruise. I just did not see mine a lot. However room was cleaned twice daily, so really a non-issue.

Dining: Not a buffet fan on any of cruiselines. I only ate breakfast from buffet twice and no lunch/dinner. Quality is mediocre at best, variety seemed same daily. Omlet station was nice. Grill: ate there day of embarkation. Lines long. Food good, but same as every cruise I have been on. Deli: Good choice for fresh made to order hot and cold sandwiches. Line long at times. Pizza: always open and good. I did not eat from sushi station. Dining room: I had lunch once and breakfast once in the Imagination dining room. We had dinner there nightly. Food quality excellent, appetizing, plentiful, could order as much as you wanted. Our waiter, Kenneth was second to none. Great personal service as well as quite entertaining. Room Service: utilized once for lunch, twice for breakfast, and too many times for chocolate cake! Quick, accurate service. Food good.

Ship: I found the Elation to be very cleaned and well maintained. Elevators were often busy and sometimes one was out of service, so stairs often more convenient. Decor was tasteful. Although an older ship, I thought it was well maintained. Staff was pleasant, willing to help and seemed to take pride in serving the customers.

Entertainment. Enjoyed the cruise director. Entertainment typical. We were pretty laid back and did not attend a lot of shows. Seats often filled up, so it was necessary to go early. Things I attended: Master Mixology, The Hairy Chest Contest, Battle of the Sexes, Single Ladies Dance Class, The Liars Club, The Marriage Game, and comedy shows. Comedian mediocre at best, but still worth attending. Quality of music entertainers was fair to good.

Ports of Call:
Progresso: This is the port to take an excursion. Poor, small town. We went on excursion to the Dzbilchaltun Mayan Ruins. 45 minute ride on airconditioned bus. Tour guides Caesar and Jose were interesting and informative. The tour was guided, the time at the end to explore on own and visit small shopping area. Tour was a little long, but overall I reccomend. A lot of good photo opportunities. There was an option of being dropped off at the beach following the tour, but we opted to get some shopping. Prices cheaper than Cozumel. Merchants will negotiate prices, so don't hesitate to ask.
Cozumel: We did a private beach resort that I booked on my own. Nachi Cocom. Took a taxi to resort for $18 for two of us. We were lead to our private cabanna and RELAXED. The gulf water was beautiful. Food plentiful and drinks (both alcoholic and nonalcoholic) were unlimited. There was beach activities to do for an additional cost, but we opted out. We tanned, and walked on the shore. There was a large clean pool and a covered area with tables and chairs available as well. After leaving the resort we took a taxi to downtown for shopping and sightseeing prior to going back to the ship.

Debarkation: We did a late debarkation since our flight was not until 2pm. Overall process was simple and we boarded an airport shuttle that we had booked with Carnival.

Overall: Great ship and itenerary for the price. Would reccommend.
Well maintained and clean
Dining room provided best experience
Clean, basic cruiseline cabin