Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Mexico

1st time cruiser....disappointed

Sail Date: September 08, 2012

As a first time cruiser we were disappointed. Service was hit and miss but never really great as I find in even the most standard hotels. Food was decent cafeteria food at best. I cannot eat fish so maybe that was really great? Everything I had was just so-so. The ship is small and loud. If you are on the pool deck the music is very loud. Other areas the ship was pretty loud. We felt like we could not get away from all the noise on the ship. I think this is just because it is so small. The Behind the Scenes tour was worth it. This gave you fun insight into what goes on to keep a cruise up and running.

Pros: The

Cons: The food and service

Recommends Carnival Elation? No.

The ship is pretty small. Although it was small we were always trying to figure out how to get to other areas as sometimes you have to go up or down a floor to get around part of a floor to get to anything on the other side. The pool was very small. Everyone just seemed to sit there. If you wanted to get in the pool you had to be pretty close to everyone which was a little too close for me.
The first night of dining was not good at all. The staff used a station right behind our chairs where they constantly bumped into us and moved all the food over our heads on the trays. We asked them many times to please stop but they insisted on using the very small space as there walkway even though they did not need to. They were irritated that we did not want them constantly bumping into us. We complained to guest services where we were moved to another dining room for dinners. The staff was so much better in that dining room. The food was decent cafeteria quality at best. As much as I hear about the amazing food on cruises\, I was very disappointed as was the rest of the party I was with.
Our room was good. Bigger than expected. If we needed anything for the room a simple call got us quick help. The only issue was the bed which was 2 small beds pushed together. We kept sinking in the middle.
Staff was hit an miss. The second set of dining staff we were moved to was great. We had issues with the behind the scenes tour with tickets printed with the wrong date and time which confused the staff and one of the staff members actually saying it was our fault it was all wrong which we did not understand since we had nothing to do with the printing of the tickets and the times to pick from. Most hotels I stay in are far above the staff on this cruise.
The behind the scenes tour was really nice and worth it. Other than that there was not a lot of options. People we were with that cruise a lot were also surprised at the lack of activities and entertainment. I dont have any past cruising experience to compare too but Ii would have thought there would have been more going on. We were looking forward to playing bingo but that was just one quick game and that was it each time. $20 to play one game. First bingo in the room and it was all over until the next day.