Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Mexico

Too Many Misleading Information

Sail Date: February 16, 2012

So, I finally decided to give Carnival a chance. I cruised before, but never Carnival. Not sure if I would again. Sailed out of New Orleans for during Mardi Gras, since I wanted to come back and spend some time for Mardi Gras. Crew was very helpful, hard working. Food was good, can't complaint there.

But here is where the trip turned sour for my wife and I, which by the way, I took on this cruise for her birthday. We were supposed to sail off at 4 PM; however, there was an incident at the port. As the ship was being maintenance for departure an oil hose came off loose, thus ruining several pieces of luggage that were waiting to be loaded to onto the ship - Not ours, as we carried on (like I said, I cruised several times before).

As passengers were called to check and sort their luggage and clothing for several hours, the cruise did not leave until 2:30 AM. That is right 2:30 AM. So, we missed being able to see the sun coming down on the Mississippi River, one of our goals for the cruise and we ended up in Cozumel three hours later than originally planned. Why the lies? Well, we were told we would be leaving at 8 PM first, then it became 10:30 PM, then 12 AM, but we left at 2:30 AM. To make matters worst, someone got sick on the ship, so we had to make a forced stop to Cancun shore at 5 AM to drop off the sick passengers, granted, and this is not Carnival's fault.

We were then promised that we would be staying a bit later to make up for the lost time, which we did, we left at 8 PM instead for 5 PM, but had to board no later than 7 PM. The Captain and entertainment Director/MC claimed on the public announcement system that since we were staying later at Cozumel, we would get to enjoy the local town Mardi Gras like event. Well it turned out the actual parade and festivities did not get started until 7PM, the time we were to be back on the ship. So no, we did not get so see anything, second lie.
Then, in order for Carnival to make up the "lost" time, the Captain had the ship sailing anywhere between 19-22 knots. Way too fast for a ship of that size. Therefore, the ship rocked back and forth all the way from Cozumel to the Mississippi basin. Most people on the ship, including some staff members, became sick. My wife and I never got sea sick till this time. Passengers vomited all over the ship, including stair cases, elevators, etc. It was pretty bad....Then the Captain has the audacity to claim the rocking to a bad weather system. Complete BS and an insult to those of us who have sailed or know a thing or two about ships, adequate speed and weather. Either way, there was no bad weather system at all or there is no way that it could have extended or lasted for over five hours, unless this was a hurricane. (not hurricane season in February). It was just the speed they were trying to maintain to make it back on time to LA. That was the third lie.

By doing so, more than half the passengers became sick on the last day at sea, the restaurants, casinos and other places where people usually mingle and spend money were totally empty, doing Carnival and the passengers a disfavor. If I want to sail that fast, I would join the Navy or take a speed boat down the coast. The couples who came with us for my wife's birthday were sick and did not make it for our last dinner and cake for her. A total disappointment. Well enough about my complaints. The crew was extremely helpful, professional and kept the rooms and other areas as clear as they could. Kudos to the staff in the restaurants, bar and casino areas and cleaning crew. The shows were decent, and the comedy shows were very good.

Conclusion: I would stick to the cruise lines that I am accustomed to. Not the greatest experience, but overall, was disappointed about all the lies and wrong information given to the passengers!

Al

Pros: Great service by restaurant staff

Cons: Hard to follow lay out

Recommends Carnival Elation? No.