Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A great time for a first time cruiser!

Sail Date: November 06, 2010

This was our first ever cruise, and we had a great time. The Elation seemed huge to us, but I understand it is not a large ship. Our cabin was about what I expected, and actually quieter than I thought it would be. The swimming pools on the ship were smaller than I expected, but we didn't really plan to spend much time in them anyway. We enjoyed the food choices (we don't eat a lot of different kinds of food anyway) and ate too much. We found the port terminal in Mobile easy to find (although it took a while to get into the parking structure). For our first cruise, it was great, and we look forward to taking another cruise in the future. We will probably go with Carnival again (cost usually being our biggest concern).

Pros: The food choices

Cons: Cost of drinks and size of pool

Recommends Carnival Elation? Yes!

Glad we brought our own hair dryer - I thought there would be one in the cabin, but there was not.
Most staff were pleasant, especially the housekeeping staff. They were always very friendly and quick with a "Hello" or "Good Morning".
The Elation was very nice - clean and easy to get around. We thought the decor was nice.
Progreso (Merida), Mexico
This was the biggest disappointment of our trip, and it wasn't that bad. There was just not much too it. The beach area was not very nice - lots of brown seaweed all over. The vendors were a little too much "in your face" for our liking, but friendly enough. We did not do anything in Progresso besides walk around the shopping area and beach, but we didn't see much else to do. Given the chance to go back, I would skip it or pick another port to visit.
Cozumel was beautiful. We did a horse riding excursion and had a fantastic time. My wife and I were the only two on the trip, and our guide, Aldo, was very good. We booked the excursion here - through Cruise 411, and not on the ship. We were a little nervous since we did not see any other people going, but we had a great time. I would love to go back to Cozumel and do a different excursion where I could snorkel. We shopped at the pier only, and thought it was nice.