Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Mexico

An awesome experience

Sail Date: April 01, 2009

This was my first cruise experience and went with my mom for a girls' getaway. The ship was beautiful beyond expectation and spotlessly clean. Although there were many families with children aboard, we never observed any unruly behavior. The food was amazing! Our waiter felt like a friend by the end of the cruise. Initially, we were hesitant to be seated at a large table with 8 other guests, but quickly found this to be one of the highlights of the experience. We were seated with other people of like interests and ended up exchanging addresses, hugs, and even some tears as we said our good-byes. Our room was comfortable, clean, and well cared for. We loved coming in each night to discover what adorable towel animal would greet us. The entertainment was also exceptional. We always left the shows wanting more and amazed at the talent and energy of the performers. Overall, this cruise had a lot of "bang for the buck." There is no way that you could possibly get that kind of food, service, and entertainment for four days and nights for this price even if you slept at home. I am already looking for ways to get back on the ship!!

Pros: spectacular food, superior service

Cons: minimal shopping aboard

Recommends Carnival Elation? Yes!

Before sailing, I was concerned about feeling "trapped" on the ship, but during the cruise it never felt crowded. There were just enough people around to give the ship "energy" and excitement, but we never had to wait in long lines and always found room at the activities and entertainment we chose.
There were so many activities it was often hard to choose what to do without wearing ourselves out. The shows in the Makado Lounge were of superior quality. We would have paid more than the price of the entire cruise just to see that quality of entertainment for four nights elsewhere. Although we chose not to get off the ship for shore excursions, we were never bored on the ship. Each night, a clear easy to understand schedule of the following days' activities was waiting for us inside the stateroom. It was fun to plan the day ahead before going to sleep. I was so excited to find a towel folding seminar on the final day of the cruise. I came home not only well rested, refreshed, but also with a new skill to impress my friends and family!
I came on the cruise without my 4 year old this time, but absolutely plan to take him along next time we go. There were so many fun looking things to do with kids. I also checked out the programs for that very purpose. Every time I looked in on the youngsters they were having a wonderful time singing, dancing, doing art projects and playing. I don't generally feel comfortable leaving my son with someone I do not know, but would not hesitate in this case given the quality of the programs, security and supervision I witnessed.
We never lacked for food choices. In fact, we ended up eating way to much in our attempt to sample all the wonderful food. Everything was spectacular. I had the chance to eat things I have always wanted to try like duck, baked Alaska, and numerous other fancy appetizers, entrees and desserts. I enjoyed the "taste of nations" in the Tiffany dining room that provided interesting and unusual fare from a different country each day. The presentation of the meals in the formal dining room were a work of art. I used the pictures I took of just the plates of food to compile one on my scrapbooks from the vacation. The wait staff was incredibly efficient, helpful, and just plain fun. The dining room was beautiful, and the Tiffany restaurant decor is particularly detailed and stunning.
Our stateroom was clean and very functional for the size. There was plenty of closet space and I loved how the beds were twin that could be separated or put together depending on how you wanted them. Again, I had some initial concerns about having an interior stateroom since I am a little claustrophobic, but the room was big enough with plenty of ventilation that it was never a problem. The curtain covering the "fake window" gave the illusion that there was more out there which was a nice touch. The staterooms had easy access to other areas of the ship even for my mom who has some back and knee trouble that makes walking difficult. There were wheelchairs available on board when she needed assistance. We loved our animal towel welcoming committee each night!
There were employees everywhere you looked who were more than eager to assist with anything. They all appeared very happy and upbeat. I loved that they were from all over the world and were willing to share experiences from their home countries if asked. Our head waiter and his assistant in the dining room were just plain adorable. We felt so well cared for and as though we made new friends. The staff was never intrusive, but always nearby when we needed anything.