Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Mexico

Pick any other cruise line than Carnival

Sail Date: December 01, 2007

Room Type: Suite

I had a great cruise, but it was no thanks to Carnival. We went with a large group (about 200 people) and we had our own activities organised that were separate from Carnival's activities. I checked their itinerary each day and rarely found anything that sounded interesting to me, so I'm glad I had plenty to do with our own group.

The ventilation and segregation of smoking areas is absolutely atrocious. We asked for a non-smoking cabin and were given a cabin with smokers on both sides of us. Walking through Elation's Way, reading all the "thank you for not smoking" signs, I could barely breathe from the totally open plan casino right next door that filled that entire deck with smoke. They had areas designated for smokers that were spaced all over the ship, so no matter where you went there was smoke filling the air. At the very back of the Inspiration Dining Room was the only place I ever found that was entirely safe for me to breathe. I have an inhaler and generally use it maybe once or twice a month. I was using it six times a day on this cruise.

I would not recommend Carnival to anyone, and most especially not to non-smokers.

Pros: Food was ok.

Cons: Poor design and terrible segregation of non-smoking and smoking areas.

Recommends Carnival Elation? No.

Since our group ran its own activities I really didn't attend many of the Carnival-run events. However, my perusal of "Carnival Capers" didn't show me anything terribly inspiring. If you wanted to stay up late drinking and gambling (in the very smoky casino) or if you didn't mind playing trivia games all day, then it might be all right.
The layout was pretty dodgy. There was no way to get from our cabin to our dining room without passing through the aforementioned extremely smoky "smoke free" (hah!) Elation's Way, unless we went outside and through - yep, you guessed it - the outdoor areas designated as smoking.
The food was all right. I've had better, but I've had worse. The inflexible seating times were a bit of a shock after our experiences with "anytime dining" on other cruise lines. Since we were in a large group, however, that wasn't too bad since we all wanted to dine together anyway. At least Carnival assigned us all seats in the same part of the dining room.
We paid extra for a suite and while it wasn't as large as depicted in the photos on Carnival's website, at least it was spacious enough. The balcony afforded a very nice view. Sadly, despite our request for a non-smoking cabin we had smokers on both sides, and so we could only venture outside when neither of our neighbours were in their cabins, or else it quickly became too difficult to breathe.
Some were very friendly and helpful. Others, not so much.