Carnival Elation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Disorganized cruise

Sail Date: October 28, 2006

I have been on 3 past carnival cruises and they were all fantastic deals and great fun. This ship was the worst looking, and badly run. Evenets were not planned out to span the day with big events, they all gathered at the same time frames. When on shore the instructions and debarking was a mass confusion and the people were rude!!! I even saw someone push the person in front of me. I felt like a heard of cattle being rushed through a slaughter pen. The ship travel was VERY rough the whole trip and eating in the back dining room was a horrible experience due to that, however the wait staff were great! They never finished tha halloween contest and had promised us all prizes ( finalists) We were asked by several others if we knew who won, they promised prises in several categories then left because they were late to introduce the movie on the other side of the ship, It was BADLY organized. The directors were perosonable and funny, but it was hard to excuse the confusion and that to me is not a vacation! To be pushed and hurried here and there because it wasn't organized well. NEVER again on that ship for me, actually I am thinking of changing to Royal carribean cruise lines after this experience, We heard good things about them on this trip. MANY other people were all complaining of the same thing and even the camera crew had to tell people to smile all the time for the videos because you seldom saw anyone smiling on this cruise. Very few of the events were announced but yu could always tell that they were more glad that we got off than on.

Pros: The Halloween Costume event ( even if it never was finished)

Cons: The lack of organization, bad planning, vey rocky ship travel and rude shore staff

Recommends Carnival Elation? No.

Ship was OKAY, not too pretty. It was mostly clean, the cleaning staff was great. There were lots of broken and patched tiles and veneers in the elevators and on teh floors, the painted glass in the Tiffany area was all peeled off in many places and the ship looks like it has been around a while. We also had two nights without the Movies in the room, when we called about them, they just said they had technical difficulties and never told us how long it might be, we were not offered any appologies or anything to make up for that, and some of us had to stay in the room because the ship was making us sick. It was awful!
The room was good. They cleaned it and did their usual towel animals, it was great. Only complaint was that the closet doors overlapped because they were broken and the TV didn't get any movies for the first few days because of difficulties
That was the worst aspect of the cruise!. The activities were all offered at the same time frames, not scattered, Then we were left with many afternoons with any decent options.The art auction even stunk. He spent more time talking up carnival cruise's art company and how the ship the art repeatedly and had almost nothing to say about the artists or paintings or techniques. No small print give aways at the auctions, I usually try to go to each one and enjoy hearing aboutthe artists I don't know, but After the first one, I never went back. I took a friend for her first time, she hated it too. Chosing to have formal events right after everyone got back from a long hot day without time to shower and dress well was real stupidity and the instruction as to what to do or even what was going on at what times was HORRIBLE. I heard only a few announcements for shows and very little else mattered to them I guess.
I can usually figure things out , but this time I was as lost as eveyone else.
Food was at least on par with what I have come to expect with carnival cruises, good food, atractive presentation an nothing hard or nasty sitting out.
We had came ashore at 4pm and they had the captains party at 5 that day, After a sweaty day in the sun, we got back in for less than an hour to shower and dress in a formal, no time for hair or anything special. It was a BAD plan to put that party that day, then it didn't end until after our dinner seating started.
Most of the staff were actually great, room stewards, cruise director and other cruise staff, however there were a few really rude ones when we hit shore, one was a male dancer from the show, he kept telling groups of people to go to the worng place to wait for transportation, and then when we went there, others were coming back angry saying the people said it was the other way, we were back and forth like volley balls until someone could come and finally explain to everyone to form a line at a place to go onshore. It was bad planning and bad communications. We didn not book a shore excursion at that port so we were cast aside like we didn't matter, but the stops were short and we all should have mattered. On the lido deck and the pizza area too, the people you contacted for food looked angry at everyone and like people were botring them to just ask for anything. I hated this cruise!
Key West, Florida
Didn't really see anything great there, Overpriced shops and lots of bars. I guess I liked the Wyland Art gallery the best.
Don't Miss: NA
There are always a mass of activities available at Cozumel. It was a sad waste of time to try and go to the beach, It cost a lot more than it has in the past and you can't walk off the area, you hve to take a hillbilly type truck to and frome the beach with a non reliable schedule, we ended up passing on that because we were afraid we wouldn't get back in time for the tender. The destruction in that area after all this time was absolutely awful.
Don't Miss: Chankanab Dolphin Adventure! Anyone that likes dolphins would love it!