Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review

Sail Date: November 10, 2018

Ship: Carnival Ecstasy

Reviewed: 20 days ago

Review Summary

Omg! I don’t know where to even begin. It’s going to be a long one. We picked this cruise because it was the last ship that we haven’t tried from the Baltimore & Charleston ports (the only ports we travel to at the moment), and it also had the best itinerary. Our anniversary fell on the day of our favorite port (Amber Cove) so this cruise was a must! Based on mixed reviews we went in with low expectations and looked at this cruise as a chill relaxation cruise. We were really nervous about this one. As soon as we got to the port we were amazed. Embarkation was super quick! The quickest it’s ever been. Last time we were in Charleston (2016) it was super slow. I LOVE their new method! We were on the ship before 12:30. Great start! 😊 We ate at Guy’s Burgers 🍔 as soon as we got on the ship and it was delicious! Our room was ready by 1:30. Everything was easygoing and starting off really well. A few hours later there was a sewer smell throughout part of the ship (mainly surrounding the atrium). It wasn’t 24/7 but every now and then throughout our 12 night cruise (Maybe a few hours a day). You couldn’t smell it in the dining room or buffet so that’s all that matters. It’s wasn’t a huge deal. (This was the ONLY negative for us). This was the first time I purchased the social media package. Since this was a longer cruise I purchased the social media package (mainly to use the WhatsApp). I’m a huge family person and it would’ve been the longest time I would’ve went without speaking to my family, so I figured why not. It worked pretty good. Our Room: We got the porthole room this time (we previously tried regular ocean view, interior and balcony). My husband loved it. He wants to do portholes from now on. This was our first time at the front of the ship. Some people said it can be really loud when first arriving to a port. It was kind of loud but not a big deal. The ship rocked a lot but that made it easier to go to sleep. It rocked me like a baby. 👶 There were no sewer smells in my room or bathroom, so that was great. The shower was the rectangular shaped one and I was happy. I love those because it gives you a lot of space, unlike the ones with the round curved edge. The sink was a little clogged. It filled up quick and the water took awhile to go down, but no biggie. FOOD: The most important part to a couple of foodies like us. The food was good. There was always something good. Guy’s Burgers 🍔 and Blue Iguanas 🌮🌯 was ALWAYS good. The pizza 🍕 place was really good too, much better than the last ship we were on. We finally were able to try the deli on this cruise. 🥪 It was really good. Loved the Rueben! The lunch/dinner buffet was a hit or miss (but that’s every ship). The breakfast buffet is always a hit! 😉 And the late night snacks buffet is still the same in case anyone is wondering. They don’t have the new late night snacks menu or the new deli menu, which is fine. I love the little buffalo sandwiches on the late night buffet. Before I went on this cruise I was informed that the journey cruises don’t have sea day brunches every sea day if there’s a lot. It will just be breakfast and lunch. Unfortunately it was true. I love seaday brunch, so I was hoping to have it every sea day. Lunch was still good, but sea day brunch is the best! We got to enjoy a couple of brunches so we’re happy. Tea Time was great on this ship. Everything was great. Now on to the main dining room for dinner... The MDR was pretty good. There was always something you could enjoy (order multiples if you like 🙂). We enjoyed our meals. We got to try a lot of things that we usually don’t get to try on the 7 day cruises, so that was new & fun. We were told that since the ship is use to 4-5 day cruises the longer menu is new to them. They haven’t tried a lot of things on the menu. A lot of the usual dishes we made a little differently which I thought was pretty cool. Oh & before I forget we did have 3 elegant nights like I hoped, but by the 3rd one I couldn’t fit into the 3rd gown I brought. 😬 lol. Since we had extra days we finally got to try room service. The reviews were right about the room service for the most part. The BLTs were in fact delicious and the Donut Sandwich wasn’t that great. The Philly Cheesesteak was ok 3/5 and the jerk wings were pretty good. The cheesecake was good and so was the chocolate cake. Service: Our room steward was nice, and everyone at the front desk and buffet seemed very nice and helpful. The Cruise Director Leon was HILARIOUS. Very entertaining and kept everyone laughing. As for the main dining room staff.... let me just take a moment to sing their praises! We had anytime dining but we dined with the same waiters for most of our cruise. Yatna & Jitendra are amazing!!! Such a joy to be around! Yatna is very entertaining, funny a true extrovert. He keeps the party going and he always asks if I want more food (cause he knows I’m a foodie, so he get big points for that, lol). Jitendra is a little more shy, but the sweetest. Very nice and kindhearted. We met some amazing staff on cruises before but this is the first time it felt like family. I know it’s cheesy but I even shed some tears on the last day. Very hard to say goodbye. The hostess Mayra was awesome as well. She made sure we got to sit in Yatna’s section even when others tried to sit us somewhere else. Towards the end of the cruise a lot of people requested to sit in that section so it was always busy, and I could see why. I’m truly going to miss them. Entertainment: I can’t say much for their entertainment. Shows aren’t really our thing. We’re introverts so we just do our own thing. It’s really easy to keep me entertained so I’m not the best judge when it comes to cruise entertainment. I just need food and a view 🌅 and I’m entertained (and occasionally a drink (preferably a kiss on the lips). They also played movies in the starlight lounge, which was nice. Drinks 🍸🍷🍹: The drinks were good. I got a peach cosmopolitan from the alchemy bar. A couple of Kiss on the Lips from the bar by the water slide (where Yatna works during the day), and a piña colada from the casino bar. Everything was good. Debarkation: It was smooth. No forms this time! After you get your bags you just have to show them your passports and you’re good to go. Final Thoughts: If I was rating my past cruises on the ship alone then ecstasy would be last, but if I was rating my cruises on the fun I had and the vibes it gave then this cruise would be first. I can see why a lot of experienced cruisers still go on the smaller/older ships that might not have the things that the other newer ships have. It’s a certain charm and feeling. We loved our 12 night cruise and it was the hardest one to leave. We needed 30 days. Lol. I got sick halfway into the cruise and had to cancel our Sint Maarten excursion. We spent most of the time in St Maarten going from store to store trying to find cold medicine and even with this horrible cold taking up half of my cruise this still was the best vacation ever! 😊 Sorry so long, but I wanted to be thorough. 😉