Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Good Value for the money

Sail Date: December 14, 2015

First of f let me say that I sometimes wonder what cruise some of these reviewers have been on. One review positive 4-5 stars and one review 1 star for the same cruise! Knowing that the Ecstasy is an older ship gave me pause, and you could see the age in her but it was well maintained by the ships staff.

Embarkation was flawless as I purchased Faster to the Fun so I got on early (12:00) and was able to place my carry on's in my room right away and visit the guest services in the priority line to place my gift cards on my sign & sail account. After that I had plenty of time to explore the ship and have lunch.
I cruise as a single and I would like to see them have something for us. I was able to be placed at a group table 2 nights in the AnyTime dining room, but it would be nice if they had a meet & greet in one of the lounges as well. I'm sure had I gone to the nightclub that wouldn't have been an issue but I found it was mostly for the 20-40 age group. My roll call was devoid of fellow cruisers ( only 4 ) probably due to the fact that it was a short cruise.

The food was as expected in both the MDR and the Lido. The Mongolian Wok for lunch was very popular as was the omelette station for breakfast so arrive early to avoid the long lines. The Maitre'd in the MDR was very personable as were all of his staff. If you want the most exceptional dining experience I suggest trying the Chef's Table ($75pp). It is very limited in seating ( only 14 guests) but the 8 course (with wine) was awesome. Champagne & appetizers start you off along with a tour of the galley. It will give you a better appreciation of how volume meals can be prepared and not lack in quality. You also get to see how their signature warm chocolate melting cake is prepared ( they even give you the recipe) The whole experience lasts around 3 1/2 hours.

I had been to both Key West & Cozumel before. I rented a 7 speed bike and did my own tour of Key West. We were only in port till 1:00 so it wasn't feasible to do much. The same went for Cozumel as we arrived in port late and the longer excursions couldn't be made. Mr. Sancho's closes at 5 so people who went and got there at 2:30 were refunded their money.

Debarcation was a little slow due to customs port clearance. I parked ar Premier Cruise Parking and had little wait time after leaving the building for our van. Total cost was only $35 ( including the shuttle both ways) for the 5 days I parked there. It was valet parking and they call in your key tag number prior to leaving the port so your car is waiting up fron for you when you arrive!

Overall a good value for the money

My cabin on the Empress deck E-61 was small but a perfect location to navigate the ship. Just around the corner from the elevators and the lobby bar and staircase up one level to the Wind Star Dining room for Anytime Dining.( FYI they  hand out pagers so you don't have to wait inline and can go down to the lobby bar for a pre dinner drink)
Miami, Florida
Key West, Florida
If you've been here before rent a multi speed bike and you can tour where you want. As it's a short day in port ( we left at 1:00 ) you can't do much
Been there but if you get in to port late the excursions aren't worth the time We got in at 2:00 and Mr sanchos beach closed at 5

The serenity deck at the aft of the ship was great and if you got there early on a sea day you could get a good lounger and the bar service was always coming by. If not it was just one deck up.

The Punchliner comedy club was a definite hit if you like adult Comedy I went to BOTH adult shows.