won't go back on this ship again

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Helpful Vote: 1

Sail Date: January 01, 2013
To be fair, I'm not basing my review of this ship on its looks. Sure it was tacky, outdated, and looked like a box of crayons threw up everywhere, but whatever. It worked, it functioned, it floated, good enough. I'm moreso unhappy with the location of my room. I purposely chose a room that looked like it was in a remote, isolated location (Upper Deck, fwd) in hopes that it would be peaceful, because I like my sleep. What the deck plan failed to show though, was that my room was directly across from the Crew Area, so from 5:30am up until 10pm (or later) the door would constantly slam shut as people went in and out. I complained on the 2nd morning and was told that they would look at the door to see if they could stop it from slamming. It never happened. While I normally stay up late and sleep in, I found myself going to bed early- and missing the late shows- because I knew I'd be woken up at 5:30. Was not a happy camper! Unless you're an early bird, avoid Upper Deck Fwd!
Also, being a non-smoker, I was quick to pick up on the smell of cigarette smoke coming in through the vent over our bed. Was not happy with this either!
The food left a lot to be desired, but the staff/crew were nice enough.
Carnival had to rearrange our itinerary, and cut out some of our time in Nassau, which made it difficult to have an enjoyable time on our excursion to Atlantis. Half Moon Cay was gorgeous, and be prepared to venture out away from port while in Freeport.
I would consider this a "party boat," not recommended if you are looking for a laid back, relaxing environment.

The food served in the dining rooms and delivered via room service was never as hot/cold as you'd expect. The toast was barely toasted, the milk was almost room temp, and the pizza at the 24/7 pizza place was undercooked. The salad and dessert bars (once I figured out their hours) were good though, nice selection and was fresh; I give it two thumbs up.

All of the shows were repeated at least 3 times throughout the cruise (and it was only 5 nights). The music shows were good, most of the performers were impressively talented. The comedians were funny enough, and if you had more alcohol in your system than I did, they might be considered hilarious. There were a variety of other little entertaining activities scattered throughout, like a "master mixologist" contest, a "hairy chest" contest, and a "Thriller dance" lesson that were at least good for a quick laugh. There's also a casino, library, spa, pool, hot tubs, water slide, and mini golf course to help pass your time.

Staff were friendly enough, always greeted us in passing. I was impressed how, after only introducing myself to my steward once, he remembered my name. My requests (albeit small ones) were granted in a timely manner. I never saw any staff being rude, which is a lot more than I can say for some of the passengers! Most of the staff have heavy accents, which at times made it difficult to understand them.

As mentioned above, the decor was tacky and dated, but I guess you could consider it
part of its "charm". I give cleanliness an A: despite thousands of people walking around, I rarely if ever saw any dirt, dust, finger prints, crumbs, etc.

The stateroom decor, like the main area, was a bit tacky, but whatever. The bed was too firm for my liking but the sheets and blankets were so soft I'm considering buying a set for myself. Housekeeping was in twice a day to tidy up, the amenities were good name brands (Crest, Gold Bond, etc), and the towel animals at the end of the day were a nice touch!

Pros: the islands (half moon cay!)

Cons: location of the room, food

Recommends Carnival Ecstasy? No.