Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

First time cruiser

Sail Date: May 21, 2012

This being my first cruise with my wife, we were just looking to enjoy the cruising experience and relax. The crew members made the trip much more enjoyable. They all learned your names within a day or so and tried to make sure all of your needs were met. Our servers and head server at dinner is what made the experience so much more enjoyable. I would say overall this cruise is a good first time cruise.

There are some things that I did not like and that was the constant bombardment of the ship photographers asking you to take the most ridiculous pictures. I ended up buying one because it turned out to be a nice picture but once you are asked dozens of times every night to have your picture taken, it gets old. There was also, only one pool and it wasn't very large either. There was a whole water slide area that was fun but I wish there had been at least two pools. Finally, the ports were either awesome or totally bad. Half Moon Cay is amazing. Nassau was okay but is pretty much slums (maybe this is how most islands are). Freeport seemed like it was a port they use to perform maintenance on the boat and just so happens to also have some beaches. Even some of the crew commented on how they do not know why we would really even stop at Freeport.

All in all, it was a good cruise, and I would highly recommend the carnival cruise as a first time cruise. Another strong recommendation is to get a balcony. It is worth the extra money.

Pros: Excellent service from Crew, Good Food, Nice Amenities

Cons: One Pool, Photographers, Ports

Recommends Carnival Ecstasy? Yes!

The boat was nice but seemed like it had a lot of wasted space and was old feeling.
Was very nice and clean. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of space to put your items. Balcony was awesome. We had a balcony off the back of the boat (aft view) and it was nice because it was larger. However, the lack of a fridge made it not a perfect room.
The buffet food is on par with average to good food but the evening dinners were very good and kept us coming back wanting more. We didn't know at first that you can ask for multiple meal items such as 2 entrees and so on.
This is what made the difference. I'd rather be on an average boat with excellent staff than the opposite. Our head waiter and his staff made us all enjoy our dinners much much more by entertaining us and being very social.
I want to rate this lower because it seemed like there wasn't that much nightly entertainment. But Steve Cassell (cruise director) made the entertainment side awesome. He is such a gifted man but it seemed like he was the only one trying hard.