Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Relaxing vacation...for the price

Sail Date: March 01, 2012

This was my first Carnival cruise and the ship was a bit smaller than what I am used to. I was not impressed with the layout. My husband and I never did get the hang of the layout. We spent the majority of our time on the Lido and outside decks. The pool was very small. The food was up to par with my expectations. There were no specialty restaurants--or at least I never found any--except for the Rolls Royce coffee shop. We had the flex dining option and there was always a line to get in, but we never waited more than 15 minutes, so it was tolerable. We ate dinner every night in the dining room and enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the Panorama near the pool deck. Breakfast was always great. Dinner was average, but since I wasn't the one cooking or cleaning I was happy. The best was the melting cake desert. Fabulous! Especially the first night when I paired it with the cheesecake, Yum. Our room, and the ship for that matter, was always clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. Alcohol: We didn't board the ship until 3:30 the first day because we were running a bit late. It was a very fast process; no lines, no trouble. We brought on the permitted bottle of wine per person, which no one questioned us about. However, I completely forgot to bring a corkscrew and we never ended up opening even one bottle. The drinks on the ship are VERY weak. Once I even had to clarify with the waiter that the drink even had alcohol in it. When I asked for more, I was told it would be an extra $2. Not cool. I always gave extra tip to the waiters but never had any success finding one to "hook us up." For the price of the drinks, this was very frustrating. The stops in the Bahamas were okay. In Nassau we booked the snorkel trip on the catamaran. I do NOT recommend it. We were with 100 other people on the boat. When we got to the "reef" there were three other catamarans there, each with 100 people. So I got to snorkel with 500 others. I am an advanced diver and have quite a bit of experience snorkeling. I was highly dissapointed with the reef. I have been diving and snorkeling in the Bahamas before and have LOVED it, but this reef was obviously a tourist destination only. It was close to shore - barely even out of the bay - and was 99% dead. There was barely any coral and probably a total of five fish. I felt like an animal that had been herded to sea with 500 other tourists. Not cool. At Freeport we did the beach day at the Wyndham. We booked this one through , which turned out to be a mistake. The weather was poor that day and the group that booked through Carnival was forewarned and had the option to cancel with a full refund. We never had that option. All the water activities had been cancelled and the cab ride over there (which was not included in the price) was very expensive - it cost us more that $50 there and back. I'm sure it would have turned out better had the weather cooperated. It was a nice beach.

Pros: it was VACATION!

Cons: layout of the ship, very weak drinks, excursions not up to par

Recommends Carnival Ecstasy? No.

Always clean, bed comfortable