Got what we wanted

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

4 Night Western Caribbean (Galveston Roundtrip)
Sail Date: April 07, 2011
Ship: Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Cruise lines are a great way to go on a fun filled economic vacation! Recently they have changed their tipping policy. They know include a $10 per day per person fee (I believe it goes to both waiters and the room steward). The tips used to be done through envelopes left in the stateroom the last night of the cruise (with recommended amounts on them) but because Carnival is such an economical option I believe many people were not leaving tips (or not much). To protect their workers they have created this minimum requirement but I believe this may have affected the level of service. I had an amazing room steward but I heard others on the cruise with me did not and the wait staff was not as good as they have been on my previous Carnival experiences.

First of all, it's known that Carnival food is not as good as other cruise lines. The dinning room was nice and there is always plenty of food. Usually there are a good amount of options (pizza, sandwiches, burgers etc.). In general though the food is just ok. Every few meals there would be something great but not everything. I also expected in the dining room to have creme brulee and I was a little disappointed when I never saw it (a fairly picky complaint).

The comedians were great! The karaoke and line dancing was fun. The love music was amazing. The outdoor activities were entertaining (hairy chest contest, mixologist etc.). I didn't enjoy the shows.

As I mentioned early the staff was overall pleasant and helpful but not as much as my previous times cruising with carnival. In the past, if I was thinking I might need something (a roll, a drink, more towels etc.) it was there before I said anything and I did not have that same experience this time.

The decor of Carnival ships are typically a little less than (with some areas excluded-theatre, dinning room etc.). The Ecstasy was redone a few years ago and I believe that updated it a great deal but in some areas it also created a hodge podge effect. The stateroom hallways and stair cases are the worst by far. They are extremely colorful and pattern filled.

I had a great stateroom on the Riveria deck. The decor was nice, the shower was big and the portholes made the world of a difference. The bed was comfortable, the storage space is great and everything seemed clean. I only took the stairs on my last trip (no elevators) so being on the 4th floor when most of the excitement starts on the 8th is a little tiresome but good cardio I suppose.
The ocean was beautiful. Cozumel is fairly easy to navigate and generally safe feeling. It seems like all the prices (jewelery, food, alcohol etc.) have gone up A LOT.
Don't Miss: The beach (or at least the water).

Pros: Good bang for your buck

Cons: Quality and Service

Recommends Carnival Ecstasy? Yes!