Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Not a good first cruise

Sail Date: October 30, 2010

The ship was ok. It was'nt as big as I expected and I thought it would be more modern. My first impression was that it seemed to be a few years past it's retirement. There was no "wow" factor and everything seemed to be out of date. The staff was terrible. My wife and I had not been on a vacation in 17 years (we take care of her mentally ill mother) so we were really looking forward to this. We should have stayed home. House keeping could'nt be bothered to do more then make the bed in our room til I went down and complained to the manager (after the third day). I could'nt even talk to my wife on the lido deck (the outdoor deck) because the music was so loud. I like loud music too....but when I can't hear the person 3 feet from me for 5 days....that's a bit much. My wife went to the casino to play the quarter slots (something she loves and has done many times at casinos). She played for about an hour...I got charged $390.00. When I asked the casino manager how it is that my wife spent that much on a quarter slot machine in just under an hour,,,,he said my wife must be stupid and not know how to use the machine. It took everything I had not to deck that guy right there (and my wife pulling me away from him helped)

This cruise was also a "gay" cruise. Now, don't misunderstand...I could not care less what someones sexual preference is, but I would no more want to be on this cruise then I would a Hip Hop themed cruise or a western themed cruise. That fact that this was'nt even mentioned at booking is quite annoying.

Overall....I will not go on another Carnival cruise. I would advise you to research other cruise lines before you decide.

Pros: getting home

Cons: everything

Recommends Carnival Ecstasy? No.

I had to go down to guest services on the third day and argue with the manager to get my room cleaned. House keeping had decided that just making the bed was enough.
The entertainment was ridiculous. The shows were childish and..........painful to sit through. Most of the time on the ship we roamed around aimlessly in complete boredom. There was absolutely nothing to do unless you want to drink all day and pay $8 each drink. Seriously....$4.49 for a can of coke? Come on.............
By this time Carnival had completely destroyed out vacation and we had no desire to do anything but try to find a way to get home sooner. We did'nt get off the ship.
Progreso (Merida), Mexico
We went to the Mayan temples. We missed our more expensive tour and got put on a cheaper one because, even though the ships captain reminds everyone to "stay on ship time", the "excursion expert" neglected to tell us that he meant 7am Mexican time and not 7am ship time like had been drilled in to our heads. Still, the tour was pretty interesting and the guides were very good.