Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Relaxing! Exciting! Delicious!

Sail Date: February 01, 2006

The ship was quite elegant and in excellent repair. We were impressed with the beautiful atrium, the cleanliness and the very friendly staff who greeted us upon our arrival

The first big problem was our departure delay due to losing an entire huge *cage* of luggage overboard. They were trying to fish it out of the sea, the police were called and some people were quite panicked that they might have lost their luggage. We didn't meet anyone who lost theirs and it was not a worry for us since we hand carried ours onto the ship, but there were definitely people who lost theirs. When we finally did depart, one suitcase bubbled to the surface from the force of the propellers.

Since we had never been on a cruise before and my husband is not a *boat* person, I was concerned that he would have a miserable trip, but he thoroughly enjoyed himself and is looking forward to our next cruise. He said he would prefer to travel on this particular ship again because he found it so enjoyable and he knows how good it is.

We did not like having to go through the lifeboat drill, but that's a necessary evil. We were on the bottom deck and we were expected to climb the stairs to the lifeboat deck. My old knees started to rebel after three flights so the young lady *guarding* the elevators, which were not supposed to be used, allowed us to use one...thankfully.

We had a fabulous time just sitting on deck and looking out to sea on much of this cruise. Our fellow cruisers were, on the whole, very friendly and willing to share any information they had. One couple we met in the library pointed out the flying fish that were stirred up as we moved through the open sea. I hadn't seen flying fish since I was a girl traveling to Catalina Island and my husband had never seen them. He is a total animal lover so he was delighted.

You also meet some real characters on board. Our first night in the dining room we were crammed into a booth with four people traveling together.
As great as the food was in the dining room, one lady ordered a small appetizer and shared her husband's salad and drank some water and that was her meal. She was exceedingly thin and very afraid she would eat something, but the rest of her party seemed to enjoy it. Another time we ate with a couple and they were very aloof. You would expect to make polite conversation when you are at a table with no other people present, but when she would answer a question, she would stare off into the great beyond and use as few words as possible.

Our waiters were fabulous. Very, very attentive, full of travel stories and, although foreign, spoke excellent English albeit with an accent. One of them liked to do magic tricks and another told jokes. Once I had a hard time deciding between two different items on the menu and they brought both. I couldn't eat both so I tried to make as much disappear as possible since they were so thoughful.

Our room was always straightened up by the time we returned to it, but each day I would check the bar of soap on the sink and it was still as messy as I left it. If they cleaned anything else in the bathroom, they sure didn't bother with the sink so I seriously doubt they did anything but remove the trash and and refill the shower soap and shampoo.

We never used room service or asked for anything so we thought they would find the time to properly clean the bathroom at least once during our five days on board. Some people talked about their towel animals they would find on their beds, but we never had one.

We also loved the pizzeria....lots of variety, fresh and delicious and available any time we wanted a quick snack. The midnight buffet was fabulous. Many gigantic ice sculptures, unusual food offerings and a huge table covered with chocolate of every type imaginable. The bad part of that is you want a taste of everything, but I wouldn't advise it.

I am now telling everyone I see to go on a cruise!

Pros: We loved the food, the laid back atmosphere & the different entertainment.

Cons: Leaving port late and poor cabin steward