Holiday Inn of Cruise Ships

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

5 Night Western Caribbean (Galveston Roundtrip)
Sail Date: October 04, 2008
Cabin Type: Suite
The stop in Progresso was AWFUL! It was a ghetto and the people pushed their wares to you even when you were on the beach trying to relax. The ship was okay, it was hard to find your way around because everything looked the same. The decor was all metal and lights. Our stateroom (Penthouse Suite) was really nice and comfortable though. The staff was excellent. Camp Carnival was a life saver for my 8 year old. He loved it.

Food was just average. Not any better than diner food. The desserts were really good. There wasn't any midnight buffets and there wasn't a Chocolate Buffet (which I've had on my last 2 cruises).

There wasn't enough variety in the activities and the quality of the performances was poor. There was a lot of bingo, trivia, and scrapbooking. No limbo on the Lido deck. :-(

My 8 year old loved Camp Carnival. They had dinner in their own section of the Grill, played Playstation games, went to the disco for parties, built a volcano, had PJ parties, etc.

The staff were one of the highlights of the trip.

Our Penthouse Suite was really nice and comfortable.
DON'T GO HERE! This place was like a ghetto. It was dirty and the locals were very pushy and not honest. The vendors followed you to the beach and tried to push their wares on you (shirts, jewelry, food, bootlegged CD's and movies, etc.). You couldn't relax. The booths had vulgar items for sale and I had to keep my kids away. I did NOT feel safe and was glad that I didn't choose to go on any excursion here alone without my husband. The streets were littered with trash and "needles". We tried to take a taxi to the resort the cruise line uses (Progresso Beach Resort) and the locals acted like they had no idea what that was.
Don't Miss: Stay on the ship!
My husband did the 3 Reef Snorkel and got to hold an octopus! My 2 boys and I took a taxi to Playa Mia and it was beautiful. There were hammocks, a buffet, swimming pool, beautiful beach with tables, chairs, and umbrellas. The locals were very friendly and seemed honest and didn't try to rip you off. I felt very safe.
Don't Miss: Playa Mia, Snorkeling

Pros: Staff, Desserts, Cozumel

Cons: Progresso!!! and Food

Recommends Carnival Ecstasy? No.