Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Crusing is not for me

Sail Date: July 17, 2008

First time cruisers need to read this. Im trying to just "keep it real". I wish I would have paid attention to some of the not so great reviews before booking this. Im a first time cruiser, and my expecations werent met. So many people I know just love cruises, and I still cant understand why. I dont mean to be insulting or snobbish, but I was surprised at some of the "types" of people that were on this cruise. If I go on one again, I will look for something a bit more upscale. Everyone you meet though, is really friendly.

Pros: If anything, the food I guess

Cons: Daytime Boredom

Recommends Carnival Ecstasy? No.

First impression is that it is an old boat. Im a first time cruiser, but was not impressed. I am somewhat of a clean freak, and to me, the deck lounges needed a good scrubbing, the window in the room was filthy on the outside. I could go on.....in short, I expected more. But then again, I did see a lot of employees constantly cleaning up. The decor was majorly tacky, almost dizzying, in the hallways by elevators. I have nothing to compare it to, so I give it an average rating to be fair.
Im not a picky eater. The dining room food was pretty good, but had small portions of side dishes. Room service is free (liked that), but again small portions. For the amount of people on board, they do a good job with the food, thus the average rating. Pizza was tasteless, fries were good. I did have to send my steak back two times to be redone because it was like leather, then given to me raw. I expected better. Buffets were decent.
Daytime-if youre not a gambler, your options are to lay on lounge chairs on the crowded deck. I just couldnt bring myself to get into that tiny crowded pool (why is it so small?) to cool off so my options were attend a lame seminar, drink at the bar or attend a corny game. Daytime boredom forced me to the gym, which has nice equipment, but was very warm.
There were some unexplained splatters on a wall, dust on headboard ledge, white comforter has a few small marks, and just overall OK. Not enough to complain about to the steward without seeming like a nut, but not 4 or 5 star by any means. I expected better. Safe in closet. Good water pressure. Average rating, because I didnt mind sleeping and showering in it.
Some were really nice, some were borderline rude. They dont move that fast at the bars. Highly commercialized and always looking to sell you something-water bottle holders, photos, etc.
Dune buggy beach tour was rushed, hot, and disappointing. We scurried from a not great beach for snorkeling, then to a tiny ruin, they to a swamp to see a crocodile, then to some lighthouse, then to a nicer beach with a very good Mexican lunch. Had only 30 minutes to shop after the excursion before getting back on ship. Everything took forever and we got a late start.