Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review to Caribbean

value versus what you paid for

Sail Date: January 01, 2007

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I have only cruised half a dozen times as a family so I am no expert. I carefully selected a Carnival cruise (and also shorter length) since I had heard good things about the Camp Carnival program. With 2 five year olds, I did my homework. The program for kids and the counselors were wonderful. Those I highly recommend. But everything else was the equivalent of a one star resort and you definitely do not get what you paid for.

The boat itself was a disappointment. It is old and it is tired. While there are some noticeable improvements in some of the common areas, how do you deal with bathrooms that constantly "stunk" because they are so old and moldy. Or seeing a couple of bugs running around when I got up in the middle of the nite to use it in your cabin? The tables and chairs in the Panorama eating areas are so old and worn out that no amount of elbow grease makes you want to set your fork on it? I could go on and on about the worn out and threadbare things.... And amenities - - forget about it! No blowdryers in rooms, no tissues. Grey towels and worn out beach towels that had seen better days.

But the hardest thing was that we lost 12 hours of cruising time due to bad weather, late departure from Galveston and some docking delays. On a short cruise, time is precious. Nobody is responsible for acts of nature BUT on a cruise ship someone MUST communicate to the passengers. I did not appreciate glib and brief comments about why we were late taking off or coming in. If you cannot deliver the message in a professional manner on the PA system, then use the TV available in EVERY room to release the information in a professional manner.

On a personal level, please do not consider this ship if you are a "church goer". Imagine this response when I asked the front desk about possible services or access to a chapel for my family. It was Sunday. I was told "you are on vacation and we do not have such things - - you could do meditation in the spa"!! Interesting how a Princess Alaskan cruise had a non-denominational service attended by about 500 people two years ago!

With small kids and an interior cabin, we had no way of knowning what time we were to disembark or whether it was raining. Calling the front desk got me a "yes we are on time and it is "nice" outside". Imagine my surprise when we pulled into port two hours late and it was cool and gusty. It is this sort of attitude from the senior staff members that was very offensive. The average workers on every part of the ship were kind and courteous, especially to young children. Thank you for that!

Pros: friendliness of the staff

Cons: arrogance of the cruise director

Recommends Carnival Ecstasy? No.

wonderful and caring counselors doing the best they could in a system where they did not seem to have a lot of resources.