Carnival Dream Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Relaxing trip overall

Sail Date: August 14, 2016

This was my third cruise, second with Carnival so I had an understanding of what to expect going in.  The Port of NOLA is easy to navigate as it is right on the Mississippi River and is attached to the mall/shopping area.   If you are not a diamond or platinum member is suggest purchasing "faster to the fun".  It allows you to board ahead of general boarding and your cabin is ready once you get on the boat.   Staff was friendly but didn't have that "over the top" service you expect on a cruise.   They were not bad by any means, but those who have cruised before will understand what I mean.   Lot of families on this trip with younger children which I expected with Carnival.  Other cruise lines like Royal Carribean have a more mature customer base and the shows are based on that as well.  Most of the entertainment on the Dream was family oriented which for families is great but not so much for a couple without kids in there 40s.  Another big difference in cruise lines is the quality of food.  I feel that Royal Carribean has much better food and availability of food when you want it.  Carnival closes there buffet and will not open it early, not even minutes when there is already a line waiting.   Ports were nice, Mahogany Bay was beautiful, no excursion needed just enjoy the beach.  Belize was interesting and long.   I took up the Myan ruins tour with lunch.  The excursion starts off with a 2 hours bus ride on primitave roads so when you finally reach the ruins it feels like you have gone rounds with an MMA fighter.  Then you walk uphill for about a half mile to finally reach your destination.  The tour guides were Myan descendants which made for a really insightful tour.   Lunch was very tasty and served at a stop on their way back to the boat.   Another 2 hour ride and we made it back to the Dream.   If you want to see and learn all about Belize, this is a good trip for you.  You are literally 2 miles from Guatamala border and see many towns.   Last port was Cozumel and my excursion was the private beach with chef and waitstaff at my neck and call.  This was amazing.   That's all I can say about it.  The staff, food, location was all unbelievable and it made you feel like you were on another planet.   After 5 hours of being pampered we returned to the boat and had one final day at sea.  I can tell you by the 6th day everyone onboard was pretty much done being there.  The constant bombardment of other people always in your bubble wears on everyone.  Debarking the boat was a joke too.   Again, faster to the fun allowed us to get off the boat before the gen pop but with people not paying attention, not following instructions, and flat out being rude, leaving the boat was a major drill.  Overall I would say if you have a family and this vacation is within your means to take it.   If you are a couple and want a more mature vacation I would go with another cruise line.