Carnival Dream Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

First Mate

Wonderful Cruise

Sail Date: May 15, 2016

It was one of the best cruises I have ever been on. The Dream was kept very clean. The dining room staff was great. Good food.

The only disappointment was that they cut the port stay in Cozumel by two hours for some reason so they did not run the mainland shore excursions. I still enjoyed the Mayan ruins at San Gervaiso. They were smaller than the ones at Tulum, but still worth seeing.

Belize for me was the best stop of the tour. Xunantunch Mayan ruins are spectacular. The tallest building is 130 feet high. Because of my fear of heights, I couldn't make myself climb more than halfway up, but still got a great view of the surrounding area.

On Isla Roatan, we took an island & glass-bottom boat tour. It was very interesting to see the coral reef & sea life. We didn't see any super-huge fish, but an interesting variety. One of the stops was at a cameo factory. It was some really detailed artwork.

Cruise Photos

The cabin had plenty of room. And it had an extra half-bathroom with a sink & small bathtub.
Very smooth both ways. And customs in New Orleans was the most efficient that I have dealt with.
The staff kept the ship very clean. I am very picky about cleanliness & the ship met my expectations.
The Mayan ruins on Cozumel were small but still very interesting. Would rather have gone to the ones like Tulum on the mainland.

Xunantunich Mayan ruins are a must-see if you interested in history. There is a lot of walking in hot weather so if you have trouble getting around, don't take the tour. It does take up most of the port time. It is about 2 hours each way from the ship.

Isla Roatan is more of a relaxing stop rather than a tourist stop. It has a nice beach & the glass-bottom boat tour is interesting but there is not much else to do on the island.
We didn't have any children with us.
The shows were great. They had an Asian comic/juggler that was a lot of fun to watch. There was also a Dancing in the Streets show & a Country & Western show. Both of them were great. And some pretty good adult comedy shows at night. If you are easily offended, then I recommend the earlier family comedy shows.
Cheeky Charlie from the entertainment staff was always very helpful & knew what was going on around the ship. She is the most enthusiastic crew member I have ever encountered on any of my cruises. A very charming & friendly young lady. Made', our cabin steward kept everything spotless clean.
The food was delicious most of the time. And they had a good variety.
New Orleans, Louisiana
We drove in the night before the cruise, so we didn't have a lot of time to sightsee. I did go to Café Du Monde & tried the beignets. They are very good. If you want to avoid the crowds, go to the one in Kenner, near the airport.
We went to the small Mayan ruins at San Gervaiso. Very interesting to see. If you get out of the city, most of the island has been left undeveloped. If your cruise stops long enough to take a mainland tour, the Mayan city of Tulum is a lot bigger & more to see than San Gervaiso.
Belize City, Belize
I have been to both the Mayan ruins at Xunantunch & Altun Ha. Xunantunch does involve a lot more walking than Altun Ha, The Altun Ha & River Wallace boat tour is really nice. Once the tour boat gets going, you do get a bit of relief from the heat. Belize is definitely very hot & humid in May.
Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Isla Roatan does have a very nice beach. Other than that & the glass-bottom boat tour, there is not much to see there. It's more of a relaxing stop.