Carnival Dream Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cutting Corners is Very Evident Now

Sail Date: January 24, 2016

I just completed my 12th cruise with Carnival and feel that it may be time to move to a competitor.  This saddens me because I have invested time and money to get to the Platinum level which brings many perks.

Here is a short summary...

The embarkation process was smooth and we were on board shortly after arriving at port.  Although we had priority embarkation due to Platinum status, I didn't see long lines of people and did not hear any complaints.

Food was definitely lacking in quality.  I seldom eat on the Lido deck as it seems more chaotic but on sea days for lunch you are pretty much stuck with that option.  Food was cold and unappealing. The specialty restaurants such as the grill and the pasta bar were okay, not great.  Meals in the dining room for dinner were fine albeit it took nearly 1 1/2 hours each night for dinner to finish. Definitely seems like a shortage of wait staff in the dining room.  This is much different from what I have become accustomed to from previous Carnival cruises. My steak wife ordered the "optional" steak for dinner one night at an additional cost of $20.00, there again, it was okay but not great.

Room service was fine but now they ask you if you prefer a morning room refresh or an evening refresh.  Also, they now ask if you want your sheets changed during the cruise.  We had a small LCD TV in our room that never did work right, it would dim to black every couple of minutes and the sound was terrible.

Not that I am a drinker but I generally purchase a couple of bottles to bring back as gifts.  Now the policy is that if you purchase on board or on shore the liquor is held until the day of debarkation.  Previously it was held until the night before which enabled you the time to pack it in your luggage before it was taken that night for movement from the ship. Now you need to go to deck 4 on the final morning and wait in line with many other people to get your liquor and there is nowhere to store it, you must carry it off.  You do not meet up with your bags again until you are off the ship.  I guess you could pack it in the bags then but it is a frenzy of activity and would be challenging.

Do yourself a favor and do not make a watch or jewelry purchase on board.  They claim to have a "price protection" guarantee, which technically they do.  I bought a watch for $125.00 in one of the shops only to find it online for $99.00.  I called to make a claim for the difference only to be told they do not honor internet pricing.  Hmmm.... Maybe you should state that when you are touting the greatness of the price guarantee?  Just a thought, seems shady to me.

For me, I think it is time to cruise with the competition.