Carnival Dream Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Disappointment in many areas

Sail Date: May 05, 2012

In general, as evidenced by many indicators I hope to provide elsewhere, Carnival - at least on the Dream - is trying to appeal to a crowd now that is just not me. Me, being part of a late 50s/early 60s couple who want a peaceful, serene journey. Nearly every common area of the ship was loud with rock music and partying younger people. And this was not summer or spring break times. This is our 5th cruise in 2.5 years on Carnival and as I look through my list of negatives, I see that many are "frivolous". Since many of these points are things that I never would have let bother me in the past, I will put this all down to just being tired of cruising Carnival. However, I am seeing a definite trend that I stated above.

Pros: Value

Cons: Change in focus to younger, rock crowd

Recommends Carnival Dream? No.

Shows and entertainers (DJ????) were mediocre at best. Always the same genre (rock). The Freedom had a lot of Caribbean music - none of that here. A disk jockey as main entertainment is just another indicator of cost-cutting by Carnival.
This was the largest ship I have yet sailed and, while I do not subscribe to "bigger is better", the number of people was not really obvious. Nor was the size of the ship. Only the lanai areas on deck 5 were additional common areas over past ships. Elevators, for the most part, handled the crowds - even those some seemed always to be out of service. Decor was okay (I don't really care about that), the ship was clean and the layout, surprisingly, seemed exactly the same as previous Carnival ships, despite having sailed on different class ships.
Was okay. Always something I could find that I liked, both in the buffet and dining rooms. However, it seems that it is harder and harder to find something that I like a lot. I'll take that as an overall lessening of offerings/quality.
Was fine - I am never interested in establishing "relationships" with the crew as others seem to be.
We love our ocean-view rooms. The second bathroom (less commode) was handy, even for just 2 occupants in the stateroom.