Carnival Dream Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Fun Cruise

Sail Date: April 07, 2012

Good-sized fitness center with plenty of treadmills and ellipticals; several pools to choose from, the children enjoyed the slides (despite the cooler weather a few days); putt putt golf was fun for all; several jacuzzis; the Serenity deck was a nice adult only getaway. No children or teens in sight most of the time; lots of activities inside and outside - early in the week they had a cooking demonstration in the Steakhouse, it was good with nice portions for tastings; Encore had good nighttime shows -- best seats are on the 3rd floor. The Balcony seat side views were obstructed. Good food choices and ethinic foods in the Gathering for all meals. Several bars to choose from if you want to party at night. The casino was basically smoke free, although there were a few areas that allowed it. Deck chairs were hard to come by. If you didn't have a chair by 10am you weren't getting one. The pool staff employees did not follow the stated Ship's rules of clearing off chairs that were unused for 30 minutes or more. We saw chairs claimed with towels/bags for much longer periods and with the amount of staff around, they would have noticed chairs unoccupied for long periods of time (more than a 1-2 hours). Embarking and disembarking ran smoothly.

Self Assist was poorly explained.

The Service Desk employees told us that self assist and assigned groups all were called at the same time (which would make it hard to get an elevator);

The In room Video told us we could choose self assist as long as we were willing to carry our own bags down elevators, escalators and stairs (no stairs existed); and

The instruction sheet left in our cabin told us we could only use self assist if we had airplane carry on baggage but not if we had larger bags.

Result: Service Desk Staff and Instruction Sheet were incorrect on the self assist method. Self assist was fast and easy. You could have taken all of your bags with you as long as you could handle them.

Pros: Staff. They were nice and polite.

Cons: Overcooked fish in the Scarlett dining room. Couldn't get a deck chair past 10am and Kids overrunning the jacuzzis and using them as swimming pools.

Recommends Carnival Dream? Yes!

There was a good variety at the Scarlett dining room. But all the food was bland. As a diner that eats Gluten Free, the Chef accommodated my restrictions.
Lots of good shows. Comedians too. Only downside was that if you had a balcony seat on one of the sides, you would miss part of the show. Even though they provided movie screens to help you see, the quality was just okay on the screens. So much better in person.
Being able to put our empty luggage under the bed was a plus. We enjoyed our balcony. We just wish there had been more plugs. One plug makes it hard to plug in a hair appliance, shave, and charge more than one ipod at the same time.
This rating is for Shamalie, the Hostess in the Scarlett Dining Room, When I told her I ate gluten free, she made a point to come to see me every night after dinner to get my order for the next day. Almost everything on their menu could be cooked gluten free and if it couldn't, she let me know which ones wouldn't work. She was kind, friendly and a pure pleasure to work with. She never made me feel like I was asking too much or causing her any extra work. And neither she, nor our waiter made me uncomfortable by my restrictions. My food was delivered at the same time as everyone else's at our table.