Carnival Dream Cruise Review to Caribbean

Wonderful, but a few caveats....

Sail Date: March 10, 2012

First caveat; write your review on WORD before putting this into the form. I typed for a half hour straight into the form and it LOST EVERYTHING when I went to save (told me Id been inactive for too long). WTH? Ok, back to the cruise.
Overall, the cruise was wonderful. I felt so pampered and just loved it. Of course, there are some caveats, in no particular order:
We watched a movie one night on the Lido deck and Cruise Director Steve came on to tell us that the unicyclist performance in the Encore lounge was canceled due to the huge motion of the ship. Ok, that was fine but then he spent a solid 5-10 minutes telling us about the other activities, and emphasized the shopping. I was sick to death of them telling us to shop and spend, spend, spend. Ridiculous. If theyre going to interrupt the movie, doesnt it make sense to pause it?
Deck chairs: You can NEVER get a deck chair people seem to get up there at 6 a.m. and fall asleep on the love seats (TWO per chair, and they used it like their personal bed space) on the serenity deck, and towels covered the seats on the rest of the deck chairs. Allegedly, they were supposed to remove the towels every half hour if you didnt sit in the chair, but that never happened.
Excursions: Save yourself some grief and just find someone off the boat (unless you want snorkeling or something). We paid $80 for an excursion (a bus ride around the island) and it was awful. We couldnt see from our side of the bus, and the guide never even stopped or paused at the monuments/sites to see what was what. He DID make sure we had an hour to shop in the French side.sheesh. When I complained to Gavin, the manager of the shore excursions, he basically told me it was my fault by saying, Im sorry it didnt meet your expectations. No, Gavin it didnt meet the requirements of a TOUR. If I wanted someone to drive quickly around an island for three hours, mumbling into a microphone, I could be anywhere in the world. He offered no solution or compensation. I will never take another Carnival Excursion. WASTE OF MONEY.
Cash: Take more than you think youll need. We figured we didnt need it because were on an all-inclusive boat, right? Nopethink again. Youll need it for all the water taxis and such it adds up quickly. Luckily the Bank of Nova Scotia (on St. Thomas) had no fees, so we got our money free from the ATM.

Pros: My room steward "Imade" and his staff of Ninja cleaning crew; our wonderful server Raynauld

Cons: Lido deck food; excursions

Recommends Carnival Dream? Yes!

Forget the food on the Lido deck unless youre famished and have to have SOMETHING. Not worth it bland, often cold and old. Ewww. We learned pretty quickly to eat in the dining room. They have breakfast and lunch in the Scarlett as well, so GO THERE if you want good eats. We ordered room service every morning for our breakfast to eat on the balcony, which was heaven.
Our room was top notch; we had room 2361, which was next to some kind of loading dock (so we heard only one family on one side of our wall). We had a cove balcony, which was extremely private I highly recommend it. It was an oasis from the madness of all the people on the ship. Dont count on an elevator either; our legs got very strong climbing the stairs all times of the day. The ship was fairly clean. As another person said, to get to one end of the ship or another it was a maze you couldnt go in a straight line. Sometimes you had to go up or down a flight of stairs because you hit a wall.
Its what I expected for a ship room, even though wed never cruised before. The balcony was wonderful and private. Our steward, Imade, and his pack of Ninja cleaning staff were wonderful. Every time we stepped out they flew in to straighten up it seemed. That made it so relaxing. He called me Madame Susan and my husband Mr. David and knew our names even when in the hallway. Very polite and courteous. We wanted to take him home with us! The bed was extremely comfortable.
: Seems like the less you get paid, the friendlier you are. The lower level staff (you know, the guys working 14 hour days) were always extremely friendly. The staff that were obviously paid more were not as friendly. Oskar, at guest services never cracked a smile and had a hard time explaining an issue to us that could have been solved in 60 seconds instead of the 15 minutes it took. Casino staff and photography staff were meh. Our waiter, Raynauld, seemed to be the head waiter for his section and not only was cheerful, pleasant and fast with us, but he directed his minions with the authority of a five star general.
The comedians were great; the first two had two different shows, so we were able to see a different show each night. My cheeks hurt from laughing! The second two comedians were not as good; the first one was, but the second one was simply awful we left his show. We did karaoke a lot, and had a good time with that; but didnt go to see the shows in the Encore not enough time! Much of the entertainment cost extra money I plunked down $20 each time for Bingo. THATS where the cruise line makes its money (and the excursions). Should be more entertainment included.