Carnival Dream Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A Decent Cruise

Sail Date: October 01, 2011

The ship was nice, but the layout was really nothing special, very similar to other Carnival ships. It is a fairly new ship and was clean. It was a bit more modern, in most respects, to other ships we've sailed on. The food was a disappointment for us, and was mediocre at best. The filet at The Chef's Art and the desserts were a notable exception, as they were excellent. My wife and I both agreed that the food was far better on other Carnival cruises (on other ships) we've taken. The staff was friendly and helpful, but didn't seem very cheerful about anything, almost as if they were tired and overworked, which they probably were. While not the fault of the ship or crew, I will say that I have never seen so many rude and inconsiderate people in one place in my life. I was fed up with people not saying "excuse me" or apologize for walking into, pushing through or bumping into you after the first day, so I can see how exhausting it must be for the crew to put up with those types of people after a while.

Pros: View from our balcony

Cons: The food (with some exceptions)

Recommends Carnival Dream? Yes!

The food was mediocre at best, though the desserts and the filet at The Chef's Art were exceptions. I would recommend spending the $30 per person additional charge to eat at The Chef's Art, as it is a reasonable price for the quality of food and service. The buffet choices were more limited than we've seen on other cruise ships, and the dining room food was not all that good. The presentation and staff service were good, but the food quality was much lower than we expected.
Newer ship, so wouldn't have expected many problems, and there weren't many. I will say that the elevators were a considerable nuisance. They are very slow, and the programming is horrible. They skip floors based on which order the buttons were pressed, and despite having several elevators, there was almost always a wait of 5 to 10 minutes for one.
For such a new ship, the decor in our particular stateroom already seemed dated. The room and other areas of the ship were very clean and comfortable.
When we asked for something, the staff was great, and they were always helpful, quick to assist, and were always nice about anything we asked for. They almost always seemed overworked though, and I can understand why. The only issue with any staff we experienced, was with a waiter in the Punchliner comedy club. My wife asked for a simple glass of water, no special water or bottle, just plain tap water. He took nearly 15 minutes to bring her the glass of water, even though I had seen him bring out two trays of drinks to other people that had come in after us and ordered after she did.
Shows and entertainment on the ship were excellent. The comedy shows were outstanding.
Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
The beach here was a huge dissapointment and a waste of money if you pay for any beach excusrsions. The beach was exceedingly crowded, and the water was murky, mostly due to the huge number of people in the small area for swimmers that stirred up a great deal of sediment. The rest of the island may be nice, and I can't speak to other places away from the beach, but the beach is definitely not recommended.
Belize City, Belize
Can't say much about the city, as we went scuba diving. The water was not as clear as Cozumel or places like Barbados or Grand Cayman, so not the best place for diving, but still a decent stop.
Clear water, friendly people, best stop of the entire cruise. Shops near the port are there for the tourists, and they aren't pushy there. Once away from the port, as long as you know that the locals will be hounding you to buy things, it is otherwise a great spot to visit. A warnign to those that get sea sick easily: If any of your excursions are on the mainland, be prepared for a rocky and rough ride across the channel from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen. My wife and I do not get sea sick, but the water taxi ride made several other people sea sick on the ride over and back, so just be prepared for that.
Don't Miss: Ruins of Tulum. Manuel was an outstanding guide and the tour was fun and very informative.