Carnival Dream Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

The Carnival Dream is the Best!

Sail Date: May 14, 2011

The ship was enormous and full, yet they laid it out in a manageable way where it almost never felt overcrowded. Everything was clean and well-maintained, and there was even a tandoor with incredible Indian/Pakistani food!

Pros: The boat, its food, our waiter "Kissy"

Cons: too much smoke, the ports of call (Roatan and Belize)

Recommends Carnival Dream? Yes!

Dance clubs were usually empty :-(
Otherwise, everything was good! Great comedy, karaoke, etc.
No complaints--excellent!
Biggest room we have had in a cruise--nicer than Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. REALLY comfy bed and pillows!
Our waiter "Kissy" was SO attentive, funny, and sweet! We fell in love with the guy! The food was great--awesome crab cakes (Crab with a "C" not a "K"!), incredible tandoor (Indian and Pakistani food--the fish was especially good), and many options. There were many Made-To-Order options, which was a refreshing change from the usual cruise buffets. Some lines were a little long (for the made-to-order Mongolian, especially), but generally things were at a decent pace.
Good service everywhere. EXCEPTIONAL service at the dining location. 10 stars for "Kissy"!
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Awesome shopping--best prices! Beautiful place, incredibly friendly people, clean facilities. I would LOVE to go back!
Don't Miss: Shopping for bargains at the port--sellers are motivated, friendly, and honest
Belize City, Belize
It is a mix of many stars and no stars. The cave rafting tour was excellent, as was our guide Tracy. The bus ride was long (almost one and a half hours) and the view was reminiscent of an impoverished African nation, which was painful to see. My husband said it reminded him of his visits to rural Pakistan, but for me, even comparing to the favelas of Brazil, it was sad. I am glad to have seen it, since we live such privileged lives, but I got back and had to cry. Also, listen to the advice not to leave the secured area. I did this because I always have to look. It was scary. A shady fellow tried to sell us a "jaguar tooth" (probably a lie, but horrible either way), and a woman at the bus stop tried to sell a "massage" to my husband. It was pretty obvious what this really meant, and it was so odd she would solicit while I was there. This all happened within feet of the entrance to the secure area of the pier. I am happy I saw it once, but I would not go back.
Don't Miss: cave tubing
Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
GENERIC OUTDOOR MALL, just like in the USA, this port purposely excised anything culturally relevant, unique, or local. People visiting and staying within the port will not know what the people look like, wear, listen to, or what language they speak, and the few stores that were not chains (OVERPRICED, ALL OF THEM!!), were run by non-locals. The old port ships used to use went through a clean and picturesque town with narrow streets, local shops, cafes, and restaurants, and friendly local people. Sadly, as this changed around one year ago, some shops are beginning to shut down as the local economy begins its steady decline. Unfortunately, the Monkeys and Pirates tour was HORRIBLE. Our guide was making things up, making strange claims that all the wine we were drinking on the ship was from their Cashews, that all other wines were made with chemicals; he spent half the time slowly reading the signs to us (which we could read). Incomprehensible, kind of rude, uninformative.
Don't Miss: the OLD PORT. Otherwise, SKIP IT.
Love this place! The water is as blue as pictures and movies show--I used to think they were doctored to look this way with filters, but it's real! The people are friendly, the place is safe, and there is lots of cultural stuff to soak in! There is a restaurant called Ernesto's that is to the left as you exit the port area (on the other side of the security thing, so take your ship id and photo id to get back in). After a short walk, this local spot offers some super yummy fajitas! Second time in Cozumel--DEFINITELY would return!