Carnival Dream Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Young Guys Perspective

Sail Date: April 24, 2010

I sailed the Carnival Dream from April 24 May 1, 2010. I chose this ship because of the ship and not the destinations. I had been to Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Marteen before. The Carnival Dream was considered brand new at that point. Overall it was the BEST cruise I had been on and would definitely sail on it again. I traveled with my father. I was 26 at the time and my parents take separate vacations mother was in Vegas.

We chose a room on the 9th floor (Vista deck), forward section of the ship. Cabin 9215. We picked as far forward as possible because we knew from past experience that at the back you hear the noise of the engines. The upper-forward section of this ship was a dream. No noise from anything and being so high up our balcony had a spectacular view. The room size was typical for a cruise ship but having a balcony made for having a large window that brought in plenty of light. Again no noise from the ocean, the door / window to the balcony must have been pretty solid as we didnt even hear the wind. The bathroom was small, but typical for a cruise ship.

I hate children. Nothing disturbs me more than being surrounded by a bunch of whining-screaming brats that I want say shut up to. On a cruise ship I naturally gravitate to the adults-only sections. On this cruise we got lucky because we discovered through guest services the amount of people under the age of 18 was less than 300. For a ship of 3646 total guests thats less than 10%.

Still I have to review the adults-only section of the Carnival Dream. In a word superb. I was pleased to see special higher-class loungers with fluffy pillows, hammocks, private cabanas and special hot tubs. It made the Serenity Adults Retreat more special than what children had access to. I liked having special bar staff catering to the adults and extremely pleased to see staff members telling little monsters to leave and escorting them to the exit. If it were the Titanic the Serenity Adults Retreat would be the first-class section. Dont get me wrong the common areas where children were permitted were great as well. Plenty of deck chairs, umbrellas and fun. Its just that in the Serenity Adults Retreat relaxation was treated in a higher-class.

Im a single guy and am not metro-sexual. I dont do massages however after the Carnival Dream I am beginning to think I should. Our cabin was near to the health spa and on the first day we did a tour of the facilities. My father got a sample hot stone massage and after our personalized tour with MJ we immediately signed up for unlimited spa access the entire cruise.

The Cloud 9 health spa included: aroma steams room with unique scents each day for detoxing your skin, not 1 but 2 massage rooms, rainforest-style showers, a special VIP hot tub the size of a swimming pool filled with BOTTLED WATER, a special VIP lounge with unlimited fresh fruit, water, tea/coffee, and of course the typical massages (extra fee for massages).

20 minutes in the steam room and you felt detoxed and sweaty. The variety of aromas in the steam room made coming back fun every day. Then you would take a quick rinse in the rain-forest style showers, then a nap on the massage beds. These massage beds were heated and after a detox the heat made taking a nap effortless. Several times I put on my iPod and drifted away for a couple hours. In one room the massage beds were HOT, in the other just WARM, which was great if you had a sunburn and sensitive skin.

Finally the hot tub! It was larger than the swimming pools on the ship and featured a bed and showerhead nozzles for the ultimate hot tub experience. BEST OF ALL it was filled with BOTTLED WATER. Well not really but according to the receptionist in the spa, it was filled with purified spring water so you be the judge. All I know is that after the steam room, a massage / nap, and the hot tub my skin felt rejuvenated and my body felt great.

Pros: Cloud 9 Spa / Adults-Only Retreat

Cons: Cali

Recommends Carnival Dream? Yes!

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Went snorkelling for 5 hours. Previously cruises had gone for only 3 hours and was not enough. Snorkelling was awesome but choose an extended adventure.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Each time I look forward to going to 'Sunset Beach", the place where the beach is so close to the airport that the roar of the engines literally BLOWS you into the water.
Nassau is practically a third-world country. Not worth getting off the ship.