Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean

Purser

Best Vacation Ever

Sail Date: October 29, 2012

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I wrote a long detailed review, but my session timed out and it was deleted. So, here's the short of it:

We are a family of three (my husband and I are late-20's with a two year old son), and as a couple we have traveled on several 7-15 day cruises, all with Royal Caribbean.

The ship is in need of it's upcoming dry dock makeover, however the staff (Children's Club Lauren, Universe Dining hall waiter Sandro, Steward Iwyani) did an excellent job providing us with the best experience ever.

I was disapointed the Hurricane Sandy thwarted our plans to go to Half Moon Cay, and I wish a back up port had bee pre-selected. However, Grand Turk and Nassau were phenomenal (we're beach people, so it was excellent to port at both).

The children's club made our trip. Miss Lauren (from Scotland I think) and team made our little E's trip the most amazing experience (and in turn, ours as well). What a time he had at the kid's Halloween party! E, or I should say Buzz Lightyear, had a great time meeting his hero Batman (cruise director Tex).

Would have loved to buy more souvenier photos, but they are WAY too expensive (four 8x10's cost us $100!!!).

Pros: Children's Club- my Two year old was so well watched by Miss Lauren and group. The child care made our anniversary trip spectactular.

Cons: The ship was the oldest we've traveled on\, although I understand a dry dock renovation is in near future. Also\, Hurricane Sandy thwarted our plans to Half Moon Cay and another port was unavailable.

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? Yes!

Ship size is good for a shorter trip like ours (5-6 days is good for this ship). The condition of everything is outdated\, but clean. I didn't like having to go up or down a floor to more fore/aft to get around the kitchen and galaxy dining\, but otherwise\, the accesibility was good.
Food wasn't exemplory\, but adequate. The universe dining food was better than buffet. The deserts at dinner were great- I loved the cappucino pie! The buffet/ Lido food was alright\, nothing amazing and the deserts there left much to be desired. Room service was fine.
We knew going in this would be a room\, not a Royal Caribbean suite like we've had in the past. However\, it was clean and functional. The balcony seemed oversized in comparision for the room- bonus!
Children's Club staff was excellent. Also\, all the wait staff and support staff would make a point to talk to my son who could be quite rowdy (we wanted anytime seating\, but booked late\, which put us at 6:00 seating- about his normal wake up and play time!)\, and the had everlasting patience.
We pretty well entertain ourselves. I wish there were more comedy shows. Loved the by request piano guy. The Pallidum shows were fine\, but not our style.
Wow wow wow. Children's activities are on point (at least for my two year old!).

We will cruise again with Carnival based primarily on the services provided by Miss Lauren and the Children's Club staff.