Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

A good time on the Destiny

Sail Date: June 01, 2012

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The Port of Miami really had its act together when it came to getting on the ship. We arrived at the port about 12:30 and were on-board in less than 15 minutes. Very fast, even compared to Tampa and Galveston, which I thought were very fast themselves.
I would recommend the early dinner for families with young kids.
We loved Half Moon Cay. Grand Turk was new to us and interesting. I've been to Nassau twice already and now three times. I don't see a need to ever go back.
Debarkation in Miami was a nightmare. The customs officials kept asking for the ship to stop sending passengers, so we were in the Lido buffet til after 11am. By the time we got through customs people were being dropped off for their cruise and it was gridlock. It was not a good time and was the exact opposite of the embarkation, which was perfect.

Pros: Half Moon Cay

Cons: Debarkation in Miami

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? Yes!

The ship to me seemed to be the regular mid-size Carnival style ship. I liked the decor. I did notice some areas of carpet that needed to be replaced, but everything seemed to be in working order and I saw crew cleaning everywhere I went on-board.
The entertainment was good and we enjoyed the singing and dancing shows. We wish they had more of them, but only had 2.
The comedians were not particularly funny to me and their "family-friendly" preview the first night was not "family-friendly" in content, but only in language.
We thought the cruise director was funny and did a good job hosting shows. For some reason we didn't get tickets to the past guest party and had to go and request them. Also, they didn't have a farewell party like they did on the Triumph 2 months ago, so we were disappointed in that.
The Lido buffet was good, but not great and if I had one complaint about the lido it would just be that it was just so crowded. The guys that make the sandwiches were good and I normally went there for a reuben, since the line was much shorter there.
The one gripe I have with Carnival is the dinner menu and entertainment. We've been on four 5 day cruises over the last 2 years and I could recite the menu from memory without looking at it. The entertainment is the same as well. It looks like they could put a little variety into the menu just to mix it up some. The last cruise I found myself ordering the same thing as the last time, since there was nothing else I wanted off the menu. One night I didn't really see anything that appealed to me, while another had 3 apps and 2 entrees that all looked good. Either change the nights that the entrees are offered or use an entirely different menu like what would be on one of the 7 night cruises that isn't on the menu for a 5 day cruise.
We were in a 6b stateroom on Riviera deck with an outside view. it was 220 square feet and seemed very large to us.
As far as service is concerned, we had very good service from our dining waiters and room steward. All were very friendly, learned our names immediately, and called us by name for the rest of the trip.
My kids, 10 and 7, enjoyed camp carnival and had a great time there. They often asked to go there during the day and always wanted to go immediate after dinner.