Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean

Awesome Family Cruise

Sail Date: February 20, 2012

We have cruised with another cruise line before and Carnival was by far much better! We had so much fun with all the different events and personalities of the staff. Everyone treated us like long time friends and made us feel like we were the most important people there. When we were coming to the end of cruise my kids asked if we could take family pictures with the gentleman that took care of our room and our waiter. They were just as impressed with them as I was.

Pros: The atmosphere and staff were so inviting and enthused.

Cons: Not enough sea food or child friendly breakfast items

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? Yes!

The ship appears to massive and elaborate from the outside; but the inside presents a close town atmosphere. There were many different locations for events and signs all over the ship assisting us to locate them. The one time that we did get lost trying to find the Club C for my daughters event; I was able to locate a staff member within minutes that gave us perfect directions and offered to take us there as well. We constantly saw staff cleaning and beautifying the ship. We had a family joke that if you dropped a napkin it would be thrown away and replaced before it hit the ground.
The food was exquisite and wonderfully presented. There were several options of the food at the higher level which was nice, but disappointing at the same time. My son does not like eggs or spicy meats and limited to muffins or fruit for breakfast. He expressed his desire for things like doughnuts and pop tart kind of pastries. My husband was disappointed that there was no seafood on the buffet and the only way to get some was in the dining hall. We did not know until the second night that we could order more than one item for each section of the meal.
The room was very clean & seemed small, but we had no trouble fitting two adults, two teenagers, and a child. The gentleman for our room was awesome. I was very impressed that they took the time to learn our names & connected with us every time. My daughter was sick in the middle of the night. They quickly came to our room & replaced her sheets with clean ones & wished her a good night. The next morning Yin spoke directly to her to ask how she was & to tell her that he was glad she was better. It meant a lot to all of us that he cared & addressed her showing how important she is. Two days later my husband was sick (over did it) I told Yin and that the beds did not need to be turned down. Yin asked me to let him know when I was back & he would bring us clean towels, the next days itinerary, & chocolates. I was impressed that he did not want our room to go without attention & was willing to come back. The next day he saw us & asked my husband how he was doing & if we needed anything
The staff was superb. They constantly exceeded my expectations. We did the scavenger hunts which you need the staff for some items, I was happy to see that they did not mind helping us. In fact they seemed to enjoy it as much as we did.
The entertainment was great! My daughters and I participated in karaoke; although we are not good we had a great time. I was honored when we were encouraged to sing more songs, which my eight year old enjoyed doing numerous times.  Some times the activities for our family and individual kids were so hard to choose from that we would either flip a coin or we would go between them. The scavenger hunts were a blast because they had funny and unique items. The staff seemed to enjoy it as much as us and helped with more than the one item we would ask for.
The childrens activities were lots of fun; my 19 year old would offer to take her 8 year old sister in hopes that she could join in on the activity. There was one time in which a father left his daughter at the sign in table and proceeded to walk off. The lady signing the kids in immediately took the girls hand and walked over to her father. She calmly explained to him that it was very important for his daughters safety that he sign her in and out. The staff handled the situation very well.