Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Everything I Expected From Destiny

Sail Date: September 19, 2011

I feel that reviews will always be biased after your first cruise. This is my second Carnival cruise, and I am aware that Destiny is an older ship (my first ship was the Splendor-quite splendid indeed!). I have read complaints about the ship smelling and such, and although this did happen once in a while, it was very faint and avoidable if you just keep walking in the direction you were heading in the first place. It's ephemeral. What I did notice is that the boat rocked much more than the last but it might be due to the rough Atlantic waves (previously cruised in the calm Pacific). Who knows, it wasn't a big deal to me as long as the ship is working properly and I am comfortable, which I was.

Pros: the whole Carnival concept-affordable and FUN!!

Cons: they made some changes to their room service menu and food quality, unfortunately.

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? No.

For some reason, either I'm very tired when I board a ship or their beds are very comfortable! Beau and I stayed in a balcony stateroom (the most basic model). His observation was that the bathroom was small (smaller than he remembered, in his words, "I don't recall having trouble closing the door while I'm on the toilet in the other ship.") I had no problems with this room, of course I don't expect these rooms to be extravagant and large although I wish we did have a little more space. The balcony was excellent, and we spent a lot of time on it.
Staff was also not as friendly as I remembered. I know if my Beau was rating this he would give it 2 smiley faces as our waiter in the main dining room would mess up his order every night. I had no problems with my orders but the "service with a smile" varied from night to night. Also, our stateroom steward only introduced himself to me once and I only saw him maybe once or twice during my entire trip. Again, these are things I don't care about too much as he did his job and maintained our room nicely, but coming from another cruise where the steward said hello everyday and the waiter started conversations with us, it's hard to give the staff any better than 3 smileys.
Went to a few shows during our trip, and they were all very good. There are many shows and activities to entertain you while on board so entertainment was not a problem at all. Our cruise director was witty, sharp, and entertaining to say the least. We saw one of the two comedians on board and he was hilarious. We attended the night club a couple nights but noticed that they played the same music in the same rotation every night except for a few got boring FAST. I'm surprised no one has complained about it, or if they did, the DJ didn't care. What's the point of having a song request sheet if you do not utilize the darn thing? Still had fun though, as one should on vacation!
Pools and jacuzzis areas were small and it seemed more like a human stew-pot than a swimming area. Not for me.
I feel that I did not enjoy the food as much as I did the first time I cruised (again with the comparing...); However to be totally uninfluenced and fair, I would still say the food is fine, and some meals were excellent. Dessert never failed, of course. One complaint I do have: THEY'VE CHANGED THE ROOM SERVICE MENU. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but I was totally IN LOVE with a certain sandwich on the old room service menu that is NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO MY TUMMY. Sadly I will admit that I was looking forward to this one sandwich very much. Almost more than the entire cruise itself. It's too bad they had to change the menu (no longer are there hot entrees...mostly just deli selections), and I do hope they bring it back soon, if, with enough attention brought to the issue.
Grand Turk Island
Beautiful water and lots of shopping. Great place to swim, tan, shop, and party at Margaritaville, as they have their own Vegas-style swimming pool party.
Don't Miss: Margaritaville!
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)
The water is even more beautiful here than Grand Turk! We got a private cabana which came with snorkeling gear amongst other things, so off for a dip and some ocean-bottom sight-seeing. Encountered a GIANT stingray (about 4-5' long) and these large, silver-colored fish that would tag along on the ray's back. Some tried to come near us, either scare us or greet us, but as I tried to reach out and touch one, it fled. The highlight of our time at Half Moon Cay.
Don't Miss: Snorkeling!