Carnival Destiny (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

"One long sales pitch"

Sail Date: August 13, 2011

Overall, the service was decent, the excursions were fun, anything having to do with being "off" of the 24/7 monetary leech known as the "Carnival Destiny" was welcomed.

I certainly hope anyone with the intentions of a "relaxing" vacation chooses a different cruiseline. From the moment you step foot you're overwhelmingly bombarded with the waitstaff offering you overpriced/watered down drinks (it becomes almost nausiating after having to say "no thanks" 25 times to 25 different people all offering the same thing). Little did I know, this would be the theme for the next 5 days at sea. I suggest bringing a sign that says "no, i'm not interested" as throughout the rest of your trip you feel the pressure of salesmen/saleswomen getting right up into your face offering you something that "you've never seen before" (or can just wait to get back home and purchase it from Walmart for half the price).

For example, I was interested in purchasing a watch with a "40% off" sales sign on it. Not knowing the real cost of the watch I asked how long with this sale last, the salesman who spoke broken English said it ends at 11:00pm tonight. Perfect, I had 4 hours to go online to Amazon and find out the real price. OOPPs! Wait a minute, can't use my cell phone (which is understandable), so i'll just go online (OOPS WAIT A MINUTE!) THE SHIP CHARGES for that too. So, I opted to pass on the watch. The next day we pulled into our first debarkment and I was able to find a computer with free internet. It turns out the "40 % off" was in reality 15% off. I went back to the watch store onboard that evening to find out the 40% off was for the entire time on ship and I caught the salesman in a lie. I then asked if there's any guarantee? The salesman said Citizen (the watch company) offers one, but only if I buy it through Carnival. I asked how is that possible, he couldn't explain how it worked. So, I passed since this sounds like I am again, being lied to.

I later attended one of the very few free activities onboard which was hosted by a fast talking, over-enthusiastic English gentleman. Which, turned out to be a 2 hour long sales pitch of overpriced junk you "can only find on the island". Again, this seemed to be the theme for the entire ship...BUY NOW, ACT NOW, YOU'LL NEVER HAVE THIS ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY EVER AGAIN!

Please see my comments below for the"Ship Quality"

Pros: Getting off of the ship.

Cons: The idealogy of every ammenity having a cost involved. Entrapment is the only word coming to mind after this cruise "experience"

Recommends Carnival Destiny (RETIRED)? No.

The staff works extremely hard to make people happy. It's clear that they intend to make your experience the best it could be. However, it is EXTREMELY APPARANT that uppermanagement is forcing them to push drinks and try to make everyone buy material possessions as much as possible. I found this aspect to be nausiating at best. None the less, they are hard workers, so I have to give them credit for that.
The ship seemed dated and the layout was confusing, at best. If you have to attend any event on board I suggest giving yourself 20 minutes.

When you return from your event to your room, be careful, you'll see trash, empty dishes, glasses in the hallways for hours. At times the hallways also smelled like raw sewage.
The look and feel of the ship is cuttin edge, if the year is 1985. I spent the extra money for a suite with a balcony. What I got was the equivalent of a run down motel room with a rotted leather couch and light fixtures that were barely held in place.
Next comes the Food. They offer a 24/7 buffet. The one catch is it is closed for 5-8 hours daily. Then, when it is opened, the (and i'll use this term loosely) "GOOD" food is never available and you're left with mainly cold-cuts and salads, which you can wash down with a refreshing soda for $2.45 (did I mention that Carnival is one of the few cruises that charge for Soda?)

The food in the "restaurants" was better. But, you'll lose your appetite after you get out of breath from uttering the phrase "no thanks" as the wait staff tries to make you purchase alcohol.
Whatever activities are free are overcrowded and boring. Whatever activities cost money, are mediocre and executed poorly.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
The zipline/river tubing was fun. The staff on Jamaica was friendly and non-invasive, unlike the salemen, oops I mean staff on the ship.
Don't Miss: Chukka Zipline/River Tubing
George Town, Grand Cayman
Beautiful!!
Don't Miss: The all inclusive beach day was great!